Talk

Advanced search

French Regional Cookery Book

(7 Posts)
AvengingGerbil Sat 31-Oct-09 16:26:32

I'm looking for a good, comprehensive recipe book of French regional food that is not Elizabeth David. Sort of a French Silver Spoon. Is there such a thing? What would you recommend? Christmas looms...

JetLi Sat 31-Oct-09 18:33:10

I like the late Mireille Johnston's French Cookery Course, parts 1 & 2. It's sadly out of print now but used copies are cheap enough to get a hold of. I also have her Cuisine of the Rose and Cuisine of the Sun books which are recipes from Burgundy and Provence respectively.
Julia Childs did much writing about French cooking but I don't have any of her books so not sure what they're like. Richard Olney would maybe be another author.

AvengingGerbil Sat 31-Oct-09 19:14:08

Thanks Jet, I'll look out for those.

Any other suggestions?

zanz1bar Sat 31-Oct-09 20:07:31

I can second Mireille Johnston, really good, well thought out classic recipes that work everytime. The Delia for French cooking.
Nicked part one from an old boyfriend and 'borrowed' part two from my mum.
Well worth looking out for on ebay.

After the 'Julie and Julia' film I have been revisiting my French cook books.

Also try John Burton Race 'French Leave'. not my favorite human being but the best duck a l'orange ever.

flyingcloud Sun 01-Nov-09 18:13:50

The Food of France is good for regional basics (not divided into regions though.

AvengingGerbil Sun 01-Nov-09 18:19:29

Thanks Zanzibar and Flyingcloud - I shall add them to my list!

It seems odd that no-one has done an updated Elizabeth David: I know it is not the received opinion, but I find her books unusable. But I really want a 'one-stop' French provincial recipe book (preferably with pictures!)

zanz1bar Sun 01-Nov-09 19:28:39

Agree Elizabeth David just irritates

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now