Talk

Advanced search

Do i need to soak gammon before roasting?

(9 Posts)
TheMysticMasseuse Fri 30-Oct-09 21:13:42

I had never heard of this before but then while I was looking for a recipe on the internet I saw that many recipes recommend soaking overnight to get rid of the salt.

what's the MN wisdom on this weighty matter?

thank you!

Lonicera Fri 30-Oct-09 21:21:50

Depends on the gammon - some benefits from soaking some doesn't need it

HTH wink

Lonicera Fri 30-Oct-09 21:21:54

Depends on the gammon - some benefits from soaking some doesn't need it

HTH wink

TheMysticMasseuse Fri 30-Oct-09 22:21:28

hmm thanks but how do i know which kind benefits and which not?

schroeder Sat 31-Oct-09 20:33:23

I never bother and it still comes out yummy. I use the unsmoked kind, I don't know if that makes a difference.

I think the soaking dates back to a time when the gammon was more salty. That's what I tell myself anyway.

stilletoe Tue 03-Nov-09 16:36:44

I made a roast ham last week and my butcher told me to soak it for a couple of hours, but that I have to change the water regularly during this time. He then said to boil it for half an hour and then roast it. So I followed his instructions and it was delicious! I glazed it for the last 20mins of cooking with an apricot mixture and it was sooo nice, not salty at all, we have the left overs in sandwiches.

5inthehousesofparliament Tue 03-Nov-09 16:39:02

Stil, I'm drooling reading your post.

My sister makes a yummy gammon joint at christmas time by boiling it in cherry coke.

Not sure if she soaks it though, not very helpful really am I.

MaryBS Tue 03-Nov-09 16:39:48

All the gammon joints I have bought from Tesco have needed soaking, if that helps...

eyetunes Tue 03-Nov-09 16:42:51

i do what stilletoe does. having cooked one without doing this i learned the hard way. it was so salty it was inedible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now