Talk

Advanced search

suggest some really easy comfort food...

(7 Posts)
LissyGlitter Fri 30-Oct-09 11:41:19

I am doing an online shop, which should hopefully mean that we only need to buy bits and bobs for the next few weeks as I have a baby coming at any moment by section. DP is a good cook but he will have to work, my mum is coming to help but she isn't exactly a gourmet cook (she can cook family meals perfectly well) and I may well have to do a few meals for me and 2.7 yo DD by myself.
DP has done some cooking for the freezer, but I know that when I am ill or tired I want comfort food, waffles and beans and such. The kind of things that were considered "kids food" when I was growing up in the lates 80s/early 90s.
Healthy would be a bonus, as I will be breastfeeding and recovering, and obviously junk is no good for either child, but my priority for those first couple of weeks is extreme easiness-it really has to be turn oven/microwave/george forman on, come back in a bit, eat food. It also could do with being something that keeps well, as anything could happen in the next few weeks.
My mind has gone blank. I have potatoes for baked potatoes, the aforementioned beans and waffles, vegetable burgers and eggs for scrambled eggs. What else? (I'm not vegetarian or anything and DD will eat literally anything she can get her hands on)

LissyGlitter Fri 30-Oct-09 11:47:29

Just thought of something else - my oven is an Aga style thing, I bet my mum won't be able to work it. I only just understand it, tbh.

RubberDuck Fri 30-Oct-09 12:00:54

Have you got time to make a few lasagnes or chilli/bolognese and freeze those? They're my freezer standbys

Also things like burgers/chicken burgers - can be done on the grill and have some new potatoes and steamed veg with them.

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 30-Oct-09 12:02:05

Macaroni cheese? Make a big batch and freeze in individual portions.

RubberDuck Fri 30-Oct-09 12:02:32

Also plenty of bread and make sure you have cheese & eggs in the fridge - then you can do cheese toasties/scrambled eggs on toast etc...

chimchar Fri 30-Oct-09 12:07:33

pate on toast

part baked baguettes...fill them when still "raw" with cheese and ham, then cook them on the george foreman grill for about 5 mins or until looked cooked..mmmm! pannini style, also lovely as a tuna melt!

egg on toast

tomato soup and cheese roll on the side

tinned ravioli...must be heinz!! wink

minnietheminx007 Fri 30-Oct-09 13:34:27

id suggest fish fingers chips and beans, not exactly healthy but my george, they're lovely! what about cauliflower cheese on jacket potato, my mum makes that and its my ultimate stodge comfort food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now