Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Avocado

(15 Posts)
MistressMary Wed 15-Jun-05 16:24:02

In the desperate attempt to get my 19mth old boy to eat- well anything different - I bought an avocado today.

Ideas needed how to prepare or recipes please keep it simple though, I'm no Delia!

Marina Wed 15-Jun-05 16:24:45

Mashed with hummus on toast? Ours like that.

Lonelymum Wed 15-Jun-05 16:25:51

I just give it to my ds3 sliced, or rather, he pinches it off my plate. He adores it (and isn't a very healthy eater generally).

ivy3 Wed 15-Jun-05 16:29:17

My dd has loved it since it was one of her first 'solid' foods. I used to give it her mashed with banana and a drop milk she now loves it just sliced.

bundle Wed 15-Jun-05 16:30:45

mashed when tiny, but now slices in salad.

Fran1 Wed 15-Jun-05 16:31:08

I love it spread on toast.

DD loves it in slices on its own.

Not healthy for ds but for you its delicious mixed with bacon and mayo in a sandwich or pitta.

You can make a chicken and avocado bake with a white sauce and breadcrumbs and grated cheese on top.

You can add it to stir fries.

beansmum Wed 15-Jun-05 16:32:27

mashed with some chopped garlic, a bit of lemon juice and a chopped tomato, then served with slices of pitta bread

or

cook some peeled sweet potato in water with a finely chopped onion, drain and mash together with the avocado, a pinch of nutmeg and a tiny bit of lemon or orange zest

or just mashed with banana

HandbagAddiction Wed 15-Jun-05 16:36:01

dd just has hears plain and chopped up into chunks! She absolutely loves it and IMO is the ultimate portable food...as you can just stick on in your bag and then peel/chop when you need it.

turquoise Wed 15-Jun-05 16:39:02

Put a couple of slices of cheddar on each half and grill, yum.

MistressMary Wed 15-Jun-05 16:39:34

It will have to be mashed with banana me thinks.
He doesnt like it on it's own. But he loves banana.
Thanks everyone I will perservere.

chicagomum Wed 15-Jun-05 16:53:30

mash it with lemon juice salt and pepper and serve it with a plate of veggies to dip in it (raw carrot, cherry tomatoes, cucumber sticks breadsticks etc)

MistressMary Wed 15-Jun-05 17:49:58

How long will mashed avocado keep covered in fridge?

Twiglett Wed 15-Jun-05 17:52:50

it won't unfortunately (or about 30 mins) you need to use it immediately - but you can keep half an avocado in fridge you just have to slice off the brown bit before using 2nd half

MistressMary Wed 15-Jun-05 18:03:05

Bugger.

jackeroo Wed 15-Jun-05 23:31:55

not sure why i'm still up thinking about avocados... they are one of DS's favourite foods though... i mix them with banana and greek yoghurt to have on top of weetabix, or with humous and grated cheese to make mini guacomole dip type thing, sliced as a finger food, blend chicken and fruit with it... all very easy...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now