Talk

Advanced search

any domestic goddesses still up? icing query

(10 Posts)
loupiots Thu 29-Oct-09 22:57:21

I've got to create a topping for some gingerbread tonight and was going to do a mascarpone frosting type thingy, but have just discovered I have no icing sugar. If I melted some sugar and made a sugar syrup,with a little bit of water, do you think would work instead? Possibly? Or would it all collapse into a sodden, runny, lump? Any suggestions welcome. Thx.

TeamEdward Thu 29-Oct-09 23:00:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Alibooobaandthe40phantoms Thu 29-Oct-09 23:03:42

I don't think that would work, I think it would curdle/split unfortunately.

If you have cream and chocolate you could make a ganache and then it would be chocolate ginger cake?

MaureenMLove Thu 29-Oct-09 23:04:53

I'd go for the grinding option too tbh. I'm sure I can remember my mother grinding caster or granulated into icing sugar in the old days.

shonaspurtle Thu 29-Oct-09 23:07:33

My mum used to put caster sugar in the blender to make icing sugar at a pinch. It might be slightly grainy but should taste the same.

Maybe make up a small amount to test it?

loupiots Thu 29-Oct-09 23:10:11

Drat - I thought it probably wouldn't work.
May have to go the blender option <gets ready to wake up sleeping household, eek!>

Thanks for the suggestions. smile

Heathcliffscathy Thu 29-Oct-09 23:16:29

if you grind up the sugar ad then cream it long enough with your marscapone it won't be grainy...i don;t think, i guess what i'm saying is grind up sugar, cream with the cheese and then maybe leave it until tomorrow to actually ice the cake as that way your granules will have dissolved into the cheese.

BirdyArms Thu 29-Oct-09 23:24:48

I think you could cream the cheese and caster sugar together and shouldn't need to grind up the sugar first, particularly if you have a mixer to do it in.

TeamEdward Fri 30-Oct-09 19:07:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

loupiots Sat 31-Oct-09 17:01:31

Sorry! I forgot to come back and say...
.. it was fine in the end - I just creamed the mascarpone with caster sugar and double cream, added some lemon juice and a bit of a vanilla, and it turned out very well. Not grainy at all and tasted yummy with the sticky gingerbread underneath.

Thanks again to all for the helpful advice. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now