Talk

Advanced search

recipes to use up kidney beans (not chilli!)

(4 Posts)
tasmaniandevilchaser Thu 29-Oct-09 19:00:40

I've got some kidney beans left over from making chilli, but have no ideas what to do with them! Any ideas?

stressedHEmum Thu 29-Oct-09 21:07:59

refried beans. Mash them in a frying pan with some butter, salt, pepper, a shake of lime and some cumin. Keep mashing and mixing until they hare hot and bubbly. My kids love them spread on tortillas, topped with grated cheese and made into quesadillas.

bean stew: add some different kinds of beans, onion, garlic, tomatoes, lemonm or lime juice and cook.

bean dip, bean burgers, rice and beans, carrot and parsnip stew with kidney beans. It all depends on how many you have, really.

DEMlostandtired Thu 29-Oct-09 21:08:56

we make mince which is eaten with pasta and optional cheese.

Fry onion, mushroom, grated carrot til soft, add mince and brown, chuck in kidney beans (and other assorted beans), optional tin of chopped tomatos and gravy. Season to taste and simmer 5 mins and serve.

This standard mix can be used to stuff cannelie tubes, make shepards/cottage pie variation. or just eaten on own. plus freezes well.

tasmaniandevilchaser Fri 30-Oct-09 10:28:40

thanks everyone. Particularly like the sound of refried beans! Sounds lovely, will def try that. Refried beans in a tin always remind me of dog food, but once I get over that, they taste lovely. Making them myself had actually never occurred to me blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now