Talk

Advanced search

Toddlers and Alcohol in Food

(8 Posts)
Undercovamutha Thu 29-Oct-09 15:30:34

My DD is 3, and since she was weaned I have been trying to cook meals that ALL the family can enjoy. As a result, I don't use alcohol (wine) in food, even though I used to do so BC. Anyway, today I've just made a ratatouille and ended up putting 200ml of white wine in as per the recipe. Can I give this to DD now? I am cooking it in the slow cooker if that makes any difference!!!

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 29-Oct-09 15:33:15

Alcohol is cooked out when you boil something, so all that will be left is the taste. There will be no alcohol! So perfectly safe to give to DD.

fabhead Thu 29-Oct-09 15:33:48

I always put red wine in tomato sauce when I make it and have been giving it to my dc since weaning age. Only once a month or so and small portions but I do sometimes vaguely wonder if this is ok. I have never noticed any adverse effects and I like to think that the alcohol burns off in cooking. or something.

Anyone actually know?

fabhead Thu 29-Oct-09 15:34:10

x post, phew!

PoisonToadstool Thu 29-Oct-09 17:35:56

I use wine in cooking for the whole family, including DS who is 2. It's fine smile

Undercovamutha Fri 30-Oct-09 09:25:10

Thanks for the advice!

MrsBadger Fri 30-Oct-09 09:44:23

oh yes anythign where the alcohol is cooked is fine

would avoid eg boozy trifles etc though

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 30-Oct-09 09:46:26

It is fine - alcohol evaporates at a lower temp than water so it does boil off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now