Talk

Advanced search

bestest apple crumble recipe

(8 Posts)
HappyBump Thu 29-Oct-09 13:08:33

I was hoping I could get some ideas for a very tasty apple crumble (or any fruit).

AppleTreeWick Thu 29-Oct-09 13:24:31

Oooh - Mr Gary Rhodes says use a mix of Egremont Russets and Bramleys for the best apply taste n texture. I have tried it and is very nice.

But crumble I am very bad at....it never works for me hence I go for pastry every time. So will watch this thread avidly for any crumble tips out there?

AMumInScotland Thu 29-Oct-09 13:36:05

Crumble is way easier than pastry...

I just do a very traditional apple crumble - about 4 Bramleys plus 2 oz sugar.

Then 8 oz flour, 4 oz sugar and 4 oz margarine (proper cooking marge) all mixed up together - shake it over the fruit, and firm down just a bit.

I usually use unrefined Demerara for the sugar, but white works fine too.

180 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Then argue about whether to have custard or cream grin

RustyBat Thu 29-Oct-09 13:44:11

I use half oats and half flour for mine (same total amounts as AMIS; it makes it lovely and crunchy & tastes better too. I also use butter because I hate marge and soft brown sugar. I often add a little bit of cinnamon too.
I often add some raspberries to the apples, because my dad grows them & is always giving me more from his freezer.
My brother has just brought me some Peasegood apples from his tree, so I'm going to make one this weekend.

RustyBat Thu 29-Oct-09 13:45:11

Oh, and we eat it with ice-cream!

AppleTreeWick Thu 29-Oct-09 14:13:31

Nice crumble tips TY. I will try again.

But custard it has to be custard...custard is King round our house.

HappyBump Thu 29-Oct-09 14:52:26

thanks for the recipes, it's the topping that always lets me down ... will have to make a batch and have a "taste off"! yummy can't wait ...

has to be vanilla icecream to go with it though ... not really a fan of custard, my mum sometimes serves hers with greek yogurt which tastes pretty nice too.

schroeder Thu 29-Oct-09 14:57:13

I like to use eating apples rather than bramleys.
I cook the apples first with a bit of muscovado sugar and cinnamon.
I don't press the crumble down and I use muscovado in that aswell.
Then 25 mins in oven. Yummy.
Custard in our house too.
Even better with plums (drools)
I think I'd better go and make some now byee

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now