Talk

Advanced search

anti veggie 10yo - help!

(5 Posts)
Stilltrue Wed 15-Jun-05 11:49:07

my ds2 has just turned 10 and to my shame (the rest of us eat a very varied diet) I haven't managed to get him to like many vegetables. He will eat potatoes if sauted or made into oven chips, a few peas or green beans under suffrance and raw carrots. He will also eat cucumber, tomatoes and red pepper, also raw.
That's about it. Actually it could be worse I suppose, but i need help with the following:
- do any of you have any recipes for 100% veggie or veg + pulse "burger" type things Some days i just think he would really benefit from more veggies in a more concentrated form. I thought of the burger idea. Any recipes for this or other ideas would be great. Btw he is very slim (underweight?) and average height so the more calorific and filling the better!

Tortington Wed 15-Jun-05 12:02:10

will not eat - or doesn't like?

WigWamBam Wed 15-Jun-05 12:14:39

Big Beany Burgers

2 teaspoons ooil
1 small onion
1 small garlic clove, crushed
I teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
10oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
A little flour

Heat half of the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion and garlic until lightly browned. Add the spices and cook for 1 minute.

Drain and rinse the beans, add to the onion mixture, and mash (or blitz briefly in a food processor). Divide the mixture in half, shape each half into a burger shape using floured hands.

Fry the burgers in the remaining oil for 3 - 4 mins each side, or until browned.

You could also make a "hidden veggie" pasta sauce with onions, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, celery, courgette, etc - cook them in a pan with some tinned tomatoes and herbs, then puree the mix until smooth.

WigWamBam Wed 15-Jun-05 12:22:13

Carrot and Potato Rosti

1 medium potato
1 carrot
I slice of onion, chopped
Teaspoon plain flour

(you could add courgette as well - treat as carrot)

Coarsely grate the potato and carrot, pat dry with kitchen paper. Mix together with the flour and onion.

You can then either drop dessertspoonfuls of the mix into hot oil in a fryinhg pan and fry for three or four minutes, or drop dessertspoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet and cook them in the oven for 15 minutes.

Stilltrue Wed 15-Jun-05 15:14:58

custardo - will not eat. I don't like to force feed; would rather lead him into deciding for himself the food is lovely, hence the recipe request!
WigWamBam - those look good. thanks; will peruse again later after the school run !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now