Talk

Advanced search

cream cheese icing too runny

(11 Posts)
schroeder Wed 28-Oct-09 14:57:18

Every time I try and make a cream cheese icing(for a carrot cake ) it comes out really runny. Where am I going so wrong?

Don't know, but can't you just add more sieved icing sugar until it's the consistency you want?

Sunshinemummified Wed 28-Oct-09 15:07:28

I sympathise schroeder the same thing happened to me when I made red velvet cupcakes for the World's Biggest Coffee morning. Apparently I shouldn't have bought the posh cream cheese but gone for Philadelphia.

Sunshinemummified Wed 28-Oct-09 15:09:38

James adding more icing sugar made no difference to mine, neither did putting it in the fridge overnight.

Guimuahahahahahaaaaaaa Wed 28-Oct-09 15:11:51

Are you using butter, cream cheese and icing sugar?

Bah, that's no good then! Have a look here.

LordVetinarisApprentice Wed 28-Oct-09 15:14:48

Firstly, are you using a bit of butter as well? Also, use full fat cream cheese, low fat does go runny. Finally, don't over beat the cream cheese, just a quick beat to soften with the butter then straight in with the icing sugar. Over beating also makes it runny. HTH

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Wed 28-Oct-09 15:18:16

I always use phili, butter icing sugar and a large slug of fresh lemon juice to cut through the richness.

schroeder Wed 28-Oct-09 15:21:51

I thought philedelphia was posh?

The recipe is:
100g cream cheese
100g butter
60g icing sugar

I always have to put loads more icing sugar and then it doen't really taste that good.

schroeder all the other recipes I've seen say 2 parts cream cheese to one part butter, then 2-4 parts icing sugar, with a little lemon juice/vanilla extract. Keep adding icing sugar until it's thick enough.

So try adding another pack of cheese, and lots more icing sugar and you should get there eventually!

schroeder Wed 28-Oct-09 15:46:23

Thanks for all your help, I'll try less butter more cheese next timesmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now