Talk

Advanced search

Another weaning question

(9 Posts)
Hazellnut Wed 15-Jun-05 10:50:44

I started weaning dd a week ago, started on baby rice and progressed to parsnip, mixed with a bit of baby rice..... Started as she was showing all the signs - particularly waking up in the night after having slept through and being hungry. She is still doing this despite yesterday eating quite a lot of baby rice/parsnip... so, I was wondering if it is too soon to start doing a second 'meal' at about 5 (first one is about 11) - was thinking of just doing something like babyrice or mushed up rusk. Annabel Karmel seems to suggest 2 weeks before you introduce a second meal but is there any major reason for this ?

Thanks

bundle Wed 15-Jun-05 10:52:34

i don't think there's any reason in waiting that long if she's happy. personally i wouldn't bother with babyrice either, it's a bit wallpaper past-y tasting. i'd stick to pureed fruit/veg, and mix them if she pulls a face!

starlover Wed 15-Jun-05 10:52:46

hey hazell! i'm not stalking you.. honest!

i have to admit i read NOTHING on weaning before i started. bad mummy i am.
anyway... Linus has 2 meals a day now. his last one is after his bath in the evening and he has half a rusk in some warm milk. He is sleeping through now!

Hazellnut Wed 15-Jun-05 10:55:51

SL - I KNEW you'd be along soon enough !! You're just hoping I'll post on the 'most useful advice giver thread aren't you' ??

Thanks thought and thanks bundle. I actually came back on to say, having looked at the Karmel book again, it actually says week 2 to give 2 meals although this is breakfast and lunch but may well try a second one tonight.

I wish I didn't read so much, it makes me question everything rather than just go with instinct - usually things work much better that way !

starlover Wed 15-Jun-05 11:09:45

hehehe. i think this is really a sign that i spend faaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr too much time on mumsnet!

I think you just need to go with what dd wants... i was giving DS breakfast too... but his milk consumption dropped, so i stopped again.

Hazellnut Wed 15-Jun-05 17:46:13

did the mushed up rusk idea which she loved - and then I spotted that despite the box saying 'from 4 months' in the ingredients it says 'contains gluten' - grrrrrrrr - why don't say they this on the front and say they are suitalbe from 4 months ???

starlover Wed 15-Jun-05 17:49:39

oh dear.. aren't they supposed to have gluten?

on a side note, i have found that the boots own brand organic rusks contain less sugar than the farleys reduced sugar rusks!

they don't taste as nice though!

Hazellnut Wed 15-Jun-05 17:55:27

see told you I read too much !!

Not suppose to have it till 6 months and I had only looked at the ingredients to see how much sugar they had in them as they were soooo yummy !! The only thing now is that there is an open packet which I think my and dh will end up eating

mandyc66 Wed 15-Jun-05 22:08:05

I didnt start weening ds4 till 6 months then only introduced stuff bits at a time. He went from 1 meal to 3 in about a week!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now