Talk

Advanced search

Toddlers and fruit

(5 Posts)
soupmaker Wed 28-Oct-09 13:15:10

My 20 mo DD is a fairly good eater and has what I consider a pretty good varied diet. But she will not eat fresh or dried fruit - spits out raisins. Fruit smoothies are fine as are pureed fruit pots - shop or homemade. She sometimes will ask for a banana, but once peeled will not even touch it. Have tried loads of different fruit, she'll give it a lick at best. If put into other foods, eg weetbix with some mashed banana, refuses to touch it after first mouthful. Have no problems with veg! Any tips or should I just give up for a few months and try again?

BlueChampagne Wed 28-Oct-09 13:20:50

I'd keep going with fruit smoothies/milkshakes/fruit pots - she'll get plenty that way, plus the extra calcium and other goodies in dairy products. If she's a good eater otherwise, don't start a fight.

Chunkamatic Wed 28-Oct-09 13:26:33

Soupmaker are you me? I could have written your post for my DS. He has been totally averse to fresh fruit since he was about 8 or 9mths. He is now 20mths. I have a feeling that something put him off (he went through a stage of loving banana and would cram too much in his mouth at once - I wonder if it made him gag and now it reminds him?)

Until last week he devoured raisins but this week they seem to make him boak if he so much as touches one!

We have smoothies and fruit purees/pots. I do try and eat fruit in front of him and will offer him some - so far this hasnt worked but i'm hopeful! Organix also do dried fruit bars which count as one portion a day and he seems to approve of these.

At the end of the day yoiu cant force them, and if they are getting 2-3 portions a day from the smoothies and purees then they are doing OK. I'm hoping that as he gets bigger he will realise it's normal to eat fruit and give it a try! It would be really handy if he would just eat a banana though.....

MrsBadger Wed 28-Oct-09 13:33:19

dd (2.3) doesn't like fruit (except raisins), and I don't really care as she eats loads of veg and downs tomatoes like there's no tomorrow.

it's balance that's important - I am not worried she is suffering from Apple Deficiency or anything.

I think if their diet is balanced overall then lack of fruit doesn;t matter much - it's mostly sugar after all.

soupmaker Wed 28-Oct-09 13:46:58

smile lovin' the idea of apple deficiency!

chunkmatic oh, if only they would eat bananas - would make life on the hoof so much easier. Those fruit puree pouches - or smootzies as they are known in our house - are a godsend but not easy to purchase just about anywhere like bananas.

I wonder if eating more fruit ourselves would help in the long term - I'm not big on fruit - would much rather munch a carrot.

Tomatoes are a no-no too. In fact DD doesn't like red things - must be the primative red means danger thing. A raspberry nearly caused a tantrum - until it was removed from her sight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now