Talk

Advanced search

Need help and inspiration for decorating this damn cake!

(11 Posts)
SpookyAlice Wed 28-Oct-09 10:46:02

Hello,

It is Dh's birthday and i said i would make him a cake. I made it in my new horse shaped mould from ikea (DH works with horses) but now i am completely lost as to how to decorate it.

It doesn't matter if it is a little bit on the messy side as i can always claim that DD helped grin but just have no idea what to do with it.

Help please smile

Thank you

sowhatis Wed 28-Oct-09 10:50:35

i would use a buttercream and pick out the details with icing pens and different colour icing. you could royal ice it, but depends on how defined the horse features were on the cake tin. good luck!

SpookyAlice Wed 28-Oct-09 10:53:20

Erm, it is kind of pony shaped rather than horse iyswim? (bit fat round the middle) was wondering weather to just pour icing over it or sprinkle with icing sugar

sowhatis Wed 28-Oct-09 10:57:35

i would make up a buttercream, but you coul make up icing using icing sugar and pour over xx

PlumBumMum Wed 28-Oct-09 10:59:23

did you do a plain spnge or chocolate
I would make a chocolate ganache and pour over, yum

SpookyAlice Wed 28-Oct-09 11:01:58

How? it is chocolate btw grin

Alibooobaandthe40phantoms Wed 28-Oct-09 11:13:18

Have you got any liquorice or similar that you could make a mane and tail out of?

Here is a recipe for gananche

ganache

PlumBumMum Wed 28-Oct-09 11:14:09

break up chocolate and then pour over boiling double cream, stir chocolate then pour over cake

I will google for amounts

put your cake on grease proof paper first though

PlumBumMum Wed 28-Oct-09 11:16:57

thank u Ali

Or you can let it cool and whip it, it would be creamy like butter cream and spread it on

SpookyAlice Wed 28-Oct-09 11:18:34

Thanks, that looks very good. Off to waitrose i go........

RainbowDrops Wed 28-Oct-09 11:44:43

alice will you put a pic of it on your profile?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now