Talk

Advanced search

Topping for carrot cake

(6 Posts)
Pinkjenny Tue 27-Oct-09 11:36:50

We are having a few people round on Saturday night, and I will be making dizzy's white chocolate cheesecake, and also a carrot cake.

My mum cannot eat anything with cheese in, so a soft cheese topping is out. Does anyone have an easy buttercream recipe that would work well with carrot cake?

TIA

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Tue 27-Oct-09 11:39:17

I used to make one for a friend and made just a normal butter cream icing sugar and nice butter and put orange juice in it.
Was lovely and she loved it.

Pinkjenny Tue 27-Oct-09 11:40:33

<thick> Can you remember the recipe? Previous attempts at buttercream have been curdled disasters.

Xavielli Tue 27-Oct-09 14:37:13

Maple syrup icing goes well with spiced cakes.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Tue 27-Oct-09 15:36:36

I generally don't use a recipe I use a vague kind of idea from a cake I baked years ago and that is basically use good quality (salted is nice with carrot cake takes a teeny bit of the edge of sweetness of the icing sugar)and I use 4oz Icing sugar and 2oz butter. (or same ration in larger amounts dependant on how many i'm doing.)
I don't melt or soften the butter using any heat just mash it up with a spoon and fork to get it creamy and gradually add icing sugar. Sometimes add a tiny spot of milk to help soften the butter while I'm mixing.
Then add wee bit orange juice or even drop orange flavouring whatever you prefer.

DOes go nice on carrot cake.

Pinkjenny Tue 27-Oct-09 16:05:07

Ah, now you see, I melted the butter. I think that was a big mistake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now