Talk

Advanced search

Christmas cake - anyone made it with marsala instead of brandy?

(11 Posts)
Tinkjon Mon 26-Oct-09 17:30:04

I love dry marsala and am thinking that this could be a nice twist on the traditional brandy - but would it taste very different to a normal Christmas cake, do you think? My family are very traditional and won't like it if I mess around too much with the flavours... slightly different will be ok but it still needs to taste like Christmas cake.

mumblecrumble Mon 26-Oct-09 17:41:12

Do it... Just made ours with random crap found at back of lickor cupboard all mixed togetehr.... tester batch tastes gorgeous

mablemurple Mon 26-Oct-09 17:45:08

I always feed my fruit cakes with a medium sherry which I prefer to brandy, but tbh it makes very little difference to the taste of the cake. Go for it!

blametheparents Mon 26-Oct-09 17:50:19

I made my Xmas car last year with Marsala and it was blardy lovely - even if I do say so myself!

blametheparents Mon 26-Oct-09 17:50:53

cake - obviously

paisleyleaf Mon 26-Oct-09 18:07:29

Nigella uses marsala
I did a couple of years ago and it was fine. Have again this year.

Tinkjon Mon 26-Oct-09 18:17:33

Thanks, peeps!
blametheparents, LOL, I was thinking you used it as some sort of petrol

OOOOOOOOOOOpsacoconut Mon 26-Oct-09 18:18:16

I use amaretto in mine and it's delicious. I use amaretto in Christmas puds too.

blametheparents Mon 26-Oct-09 18:26:40

Think my ake may have been strong enough last year to act as some kind of rocket fuel - lol!l

blametheparents Mon 26-Oct-09 18:28:32

Aaagghhhh - Why can't I just spell CAKE

mablemurple Mon 26-Oct-09 19:01:53

oooooooooooooo will deffo try amaretto this year, sounds lovely smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now