Talk

Advanced search

Any vegans out there? Advice/ideas needed!

(10 Posts)
ParanoidAtAllTimes Mon 26-Oct-09 12:58:33

I'm a vegetarian but have to give up dairy and eggs as bfing ds with allergies!!

Can anyone recommend any good products/recipes?

Thanks!

sarah293 Mon 26-Oct-09 12:59:28

Message withdrawn

Bessie123 Mon 26-Oct-09 13:00:54

Hi. This is not as difficult as you might think. There are loads of curries etc that are vegan. There is a book called the accidental vegan that also has lots of nice looking recipes, you can order it on amazon and it's quite cheap.

Bleh Mon 26-Oct-09 13:44:32

You can do vegetable curries with rice, and use coconut milk to make creamy ones (coconut milk goes REALLY well with butternut squash).

Bleh Mon 26-Oct-09 13:45:22

Also, cous cous based dishes are good.

StirlingNeedsAHoliday Mon 26-Oct-09 15:07:12

My little DD (5) has these allergies and, once you get your head round it, it isn't too bad.

All our meals are egg and dairy free - I very occassionally cook a separate meal for her if we fancy something she cant have.

We use the Pure spread (Tesco's and Sainsbury's do it) and she has soya milk.

Just keep asking questions on here if unsure smile

ParanoidAtAllTimes Mon 26-Oct-09 15:52:41

Wow, thanks for quick responses! Mumsnet is great

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Mon 26-Oct-09 16:08:02

We're veggie rather than vegan but dd1 is a cheese and egg hating vegan, so eats mainly vegan main courses (doesn't mind eggs in cakes!).

Her favourites include:

Thai veggie curry, made with a vegan friendly Thai paste, tofu or cashew nuts and coconut milk:

lentil dishes including lentil soup and lentil chilli:

a baked potato with grated carrot and hoummus;

root vege roasted with cumin and a few chilli flakes.

Bessie123 Mon 26-Oct-09 16:10:55

also, look for kosher food in your local supermarket; a lot of that is dairy free (margarine etc)

ParanoidAtAllTimes Mon 26-Oct-09 18:38:10

Great ideas, thank you. I'll be making risotto and curry this week methinks! It will be nice to move away from veg stew which was getting tired. Have also just discovered that xmas pud can be vegan!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now