Talk

Advanced search

How often should I feed my Christmas cake, and have I runied it?

(11 Posts)
TheLionesss Mon 26-Oct-09 07:57:01

Stupidly made it late in the day yesterday, didn't take it out of the oven till 10.15pm shock

When I went to bed at midnight, it was still warm. So I left it on the wirerack. Got up at 7am, fed it some brandy, wraped it and placed it in an airtight tin.

Please tell me it hasn't gone stale overnight

If it's ok, how often should I feed it?

daisydotandgertie Mon 26-Oct-09 08:00:43

No - it won't have gone stale overnight! It'll be delicious, especially as it had time to cool down slowly.

We feed ours most Sundays - not masses each time, but we keep it going.

I'm now feeling a bit of a lazy slacker because I haven't made ours yet.

TheLionesss Mon 26-Oct-09 08:08:15

Thanks daisy, that's reassuring smile

FaintlyMacabre Mon 26-Oct-09 08:13:03

Is it necessary to feed a Christmas cake? I normally add so much brandy to mine over the weeks that one slice could put you over the drink-drive limit grin.
But, this year, I am pregnant and there may be several small children wanting a slice as well, so it shouldn't be too alcoholic. Do I have to feed it with something non-alcoholic, or should I just leave it?

(I did soak the fruits in brandy and then add a couple of tablespoons after it was cooked, so it's had its initial dose).

BobbingForPeachys Mon 26-Oct-09 08:16:08

The recipe I use says just to feed once (although I don't ...) and that's based on a GHI one so should be OK? That recipe is on the recipes page if you want it.

UI feed ours a few times but not weekly. Maybe monthly but 2 will be sold on via school fayre / prize thing and I don't want the older person (always an older perosn) who buys it done for frink driving!

TheBlairSnitchProject Mon 26-Oct-09 08:23:09

I'm not sure it's completely necessary to feed a Christmas cake Faintly.

I'm due to have a c-section the week before Christmas and will be sharing the cake with my 2 year old DS and T-total Mother amongst others on Christmas day and I was considering not feeding mine either - or maybe using Apple juice rather than Brandy?

The recipe I used is quite a moist one so I'm hoping it won't need it.

TheLionesss Mon 26-Oct-09 09:56:16

So the answer is never! grin

TheBlairSnitchProject Mon 26-Oct-09 10:13:23

I'll be getting my cake out periodically and checking to see if it's still OK - you should be able to tell from underneath - if it looks like it's getting dry, I'll add something then I think..

BobbingForPeachys Mon 26-Oct-09 10:45:15

I don't think i'drisk feeding a cake with apple juice tbh- would expect it to either go rancid, or ferment in which case it'll be just as alcoholic <<remembers batch of fermented apples we ahd at home>>

TheBlairSnitchProject Mon 26-Oct-09 10:45:58

I will blame my pregnancy brain for not thinking of that!! blush

BobbingForPeachys Mon 26-Oct-09 10:53:01

Do a recipe like the GHI one that ahs a low alcohol content, i think it's about 160 mls for a rather alrge cake IRC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now