Talk

Advanced search

Cake Baking - why do mine rise in the middle so much?

(11 Posts)
TheGoddessBlossom Sun 25-Oct-09 19:37:35

Can anyone suggest how I can stop mine coming out so pointed? The mixture seems flat enough when I put them in the oven. Should I smooth them flat all the through? Can you get rid of air bubbles that might cause this in any particular way? All tips welcomed as want to make a cake this week that needs to be sliced into three layers and it won't work if too pointy..

Thanks,

Bloss

Millarkie Sun 25-Oct-09 19:41:45

Pointed cakes normally mean that the oven is too hot. The outside of the cake cooks quickly and flat and all the rising happens in the middle (cos the edges can't rise anymore because they are cooked already).
Try turning your oven down a bit.

TheGoddessBlossom Sun 25-Oct-09 19:42:54

Brill Millarkie thanks - it's a new oven so might be a bit too efficient. Will try that.

StirlingNeedsAHoliday Sun 25-Oct-09 22:08:29

My cakes were always like this and someone suggested getting an oven thermomoeter - they are only about £5 in Debenhams or Lakeland - and it showed that my oven was going alot higher than the dial stated.

Now my cakes are perfect as I know what the temp is in the oven smile

TheGoddessBlossom Mon 26-Oct-09 10:36:26

excellent will get one. Thankyou.

MakemineaGandT Mon 26-Oct-09 19:33:54

Defintely because oven too hot

PoisonToadstool Mon 26-Oct-09 19:34:52

When you put the mixture in the cake tin, try making a bit of a well in the middle, that can help - my oven has no temperature control!

Cadelaide Mon 26-Oct-09 19:35:40

confirm oven too hot

Xavielli Mon 26-Oct-09 20:44:54

Put a baking tray at the top of the oven when you put your cake in, helps to distribute the heat evenly.

Works for me.

Olihan Mon 26-Oct-09 21:03:33

I have always had this problem and tried everything to solve it but nothing made any difference. Then my stepmum bought me Bake Even Strips and they are AMAZING! They cool the outside of the tin so it all cooks more evenly and the centre stays level.

You can make your own out of wet paper towel and foil apparently - google Bake Even Strips and various instructions come up.

The other thing I do is to bake larger cakes (over a 6 egg mix) in 2 tins, as I find the larger ones are much more prone to over rising, I guess because it takes so long for the middle to cook.

mumzy Wed 28-Oct-09 07:56:04

try putting your cake in the middle of the oven rather than top or bottom. Use the main oven and don't put in anything else to cook while the cake is baking. Get to know your oven as some ovens are hotter/cooler than others despite being on at the same gas mark

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now