Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

scary looking savoury food for pre-schoolers

(12 Posts)
ODmummy Sun 25-Oct-09 19:24:39

I'm having a little halloween tea party for my 3 1/2 year old next Saturday and wanted some scary looking food to amuse the kids. There's loads of sweet stuff in the shops but any ideas for savoury bites? So far have been thinking about getting them to make a pizza each and make scary faces from the toppings (only 4 children coming). Thanks for any tips!

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Sun 25-Oct-09 19:27:49

Tiny hot dogs in rolls, with tomato ketchup at one end so it looks like bloody fingers. Says the vegetarian, tomato ketchup-hating person!

Jbck Sun 25-Oct-09 19:39:51

Not savoury but Tesco have little Haloween cup cakes that you can decorate yourself. 4 in the pack.

How scary and how versatile, olives with pimentos could be eyeballs. You could just use some stuff as decoration. Jelly with lychees looks eyebally too.

DD1 used to call cauliflower Zombie Brains, you could make cheese sauce with a bit of food colouring.

These are a bit rubbish, I'm sure Google has thousands grin

overmydeadbody Sun 25-Oct-09 19:43:17

Google savoury halloween recipes

overmydeadbody Sun 25-Oct-09 19:44:52

fingers

overmydeadbody Sun 25-Oct-09 19:47:04

mashed boo-tatoes

overmydeadbody Sun 25-Oct-09 19:48:11

ghost sandwiches

Eggy eyes... just halved hard boiled eggs with half a cherry tomato or an olive for a pupil.

Popcorn looks a lot like old manky teeth - technically you can make it savoury (cheesy) but I don't know how. I'm sure there are recipes online!

Sandwiches cut into simple halloween shapes, bones, bats, ghosts, cats etc

You could have a big bowl of "worms" (buttered noodles) which you could even lightly dye with a couple of drops of food colouring in the boiling water.

Spiderweb pizzas? make them small and round with long sticks of cheese arranged like spokes, and an olive and chive "spider" on top.

You could cut cheese into cool shapes like little stars and moons, and chop the rest up for sandwich fillings. hth

ODmummy Mon 26-Oct-09 19:36:21

thanks all! Loads of ideas there. Love the bowl of worms idea! grin

mrspnut Mon 26-Oct-09 19:38:27

I used to whip together a mix of dairylea, philadelphia and green food colouring to make a snot dip, then serve with the stick pretzels for bogeys on sticks.

BlueChampagne Wed 28-Oct-09 13:23:46

Black spaghetti?

Once did cheese straws painted with cake paint to look like fingers.

wheredidiputit Thu 29-Oct-09 08:02:52

try here for spooky receipes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now