Talk

Advanced search

Elmlea instead of cream in soup and pumpkin pie

(15 Posts)
FlamingoBingo Sun 25-Oct-09 09:38:34

DH went out to buy me cream. They had none so he asked the shop assistant if elmlea was 'real' cream - she said yes hmm. So he bought some.

Will it be an ok substitute in my pumpkin soup and pumpkin pie recipes I'm making today?

Or do I need to go out and buy some real cream?

FlamingoBingo Sun 25-Oct-09 09:49:12

Anyone? I need to get cooking soon!

Cies Sun 25-Oct-09 10:04:11

I'd say so. Isn't it just UHT cream? Or is it proper fake stuff? I'm sure it'll work out ok.

gorionine Sun 25-Oct-09 10:07:32

Flamingo bingo please do not use it! I have put it I a curry a couple of weeks ago and it left an soapy after taste. I might have got a "bad batch" one but I would hate for you to ruin a good pumpkin soup!

StirlingNeedsAHoliday Sun 25-Oct-09 10:09:06

I think it is also high in the dangerous fats - cant remember what they are called.

FlamingoBingo Sun 25-Oct-09 10:09:21

oh poo, gorionine sad

Grr! Right, will have to see if I can drag all the children out now DH has gone to work.

SimonHowl Sun 25-Oct-09 10:14:58

my cat hmm will testify thta he often has to make do with elmlea which he regards as rather infradig.
I use it and it never tastes any diffo incooking( and doesnt go off) so great for carbonara etc

SimonHowl Sun 25-Oct-09 10:15:18

and i ma pretty fussy about things like that normally

FabioExtremeAngler Sun 25-Oct-09 10:21:29

angry

OI

LADY

'Make do' with Elmlea, make do?

Chance would be a fine thing.
If my dairy needs were met I wouldn't have to abduct fish.
I'm sending m'brother to sit on the salami again until you get some proppa spooning double extra whippin' cream.

SimonHowl Sun 25-Oct-09 12:52:41

haha
god your memory is good. that was so funny

FabioExtremeAngler Sun 25-Oct-09 15:24:02

I keep notes in m'Book Of Accusation And Retribution dontcha know.
Hey! remember that funny funny time when you kept me in a cage?
Grr.

Trikken Sun 25-Oct-09 15:31:18

I use Elmlea in differnt things, even curries but it has never tasted soapy.

SimonHowl Sun 25-Oct-09 18:28:56

never
hwo was it?

Trikken Mon 26-Oct-09 08:25:47

fine, just tasted creamy. I would use real cream but i dont plan my meals and elmlea tends to have longer dates, so doesnt matter if i dont need it right away.

itchyandscratchy Mon 26-Oct-09 08:28:37

Have you got any philadelphia? Have used that before instead of cream in pumpkin or squash soup and it tasted lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now