Talk

Advanced search

How do I cook a chicken in the slow cooker?

(7 Posts)
mamadiva Sun 25-Oct-09 08:53:03

First time using it so am a bit confuzzled

If I put it on now will it be doen by dinner time?

Sorry just being a div

ProfYaffle Sun 25-Oct-09 09:00:56

I do mine for between 4 and 6 hrs though I do confess to being paranoid about undercooked chicken! Put some screwed up balls of foil under it to lift it out of the fat that runs off. Eat with a spoon - it's yummy.

Lulumama Sun 25-Oct-09 09:01:10

fabbakergirl told me how to do it, i was a bit nervous, but it works great! i always finish it off in the oven for 30 mins to crisp up and brown or it looks scarily aneamic

i make a little bed of carrot, onion and celery in the bottom of the slow cooker, put the chicken on top with some paprika and salt on it and put the lid on, and switch on !

cook on medium for 6 hours or so

you also get left with loads of good chickeny stock in the slow cooker you can use then as the base for a soup and gravy

mamadiva Sun 25-Oct-09 09:02:01

Thanks, does the foil not burn?

Do I need to add any liquid?

I am para about under cooked chicken too so don't worry about that one

ProfYaffle Sun 25-Oct-09 09:03:15

Just remembered what I did last time, put water in the cooker, about 2/3 the way up the bird, added garlic, peppercorns and bay leaves. Once cooked I kept the water to use as stock. Really nice, avoids the over cooked taste you get from re-boiling the carcass.

mamadiva Sun 25-Oct-09 09:03:37

Thanks Lulu, I only buy frozen veg in here so can't do that but it sounds yummy.

DS and DP are veghaters so frozen veg for me or it goes to waste such a PITA!

ProfYaffle Sun 25-Oct-09 09:03:40

The foil doesn't burn, no.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now