Talk

Advanced search

Biscuits, cakes and merigue won't go off between monday and saturday will they?

(10 Posts)
ShinyAndNew Sat 24-Oct-09 18:29:39

I am having my niece while my sister works on monday. I told my mum that we would probably do some baking for dd1's hallowe'en party.

She laughed at me and told me they would all be off by Saturday. Surely they would be fine in airtight containers? Especially the meringue and biscuits?

ShinyAndNew Sat 24-Oct-09 18:44:57

Any one?

purpleturtle Sat 24-Oct-09 18:46:16

I would have thought they'd be fine. I might be tempted to freeze cake - but not necessarily.

bellavita Sat 24-Oct-09 19:33:59

Biscuits will probably go soft tbh.

ShinyAndNew Sat 24-Oct-09 19:39:00

Would the rest be alright? I ddin't think the biccies would go soft, although they tend not to last that long here.

bellavita Sat 24-Oct-09 19:56:13

Hmm, tbh, if it was me, I would do everything the day before... but that is just me. The cake will probably be dry if left (could you put that in the freezer?) The meringues might keep for 2 or 3 days but I certainly don't think they will be at their best if you make them Monday to be eaten on Saturday. But that is just my opinion smile.

ShinyAndNew Sat 24-Oct-09 20:32:22

I am at work on the day, bella. And the Friday before.

Yes I coud freeze the cake.

bellavita Sat 24-Oct-09 20:39:29

Weeeell, Nigella has some fab double chocolate cookies in her book - she makes the dough, bakes half and freezes the rest, cut out, on a tray. Recipe makes 12 huge ones, but I make medium sized ones and get 24.

How about you do this on Monday and freeze and then perhaps bake them on the Thursday, make the cake on Monday and freeze and then on Thursday you just need to make the meringue from scratch?

I could post the biscuit recipe for you.. or where you doing halloweeny ones?

ShinyAndNew Sat 24-Oct-09 20:42:29

I was doing halloweeny ones from a packet blush So would be easy enough to do thurs or sat after work.

I'll just do the cakes then and freeze them. Thanks for tips.

bellavita Sat 24-Oct-09 20:47:58

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now