Talk

Advanced search

making a diabetic cake.. please help if you can..

(9 Posts)
ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sat 24-Oct-09 12:36:47

am doing an 18th birthday cake
2 layers of regular cake
one layer of coeliac friendly cake (will buy gluten free flower)
and one layer of diabetic friendly cake.

I have asked if the diabetics coming would eat a small portion of regular cake but the customer has requested we make a diabetic cake.

now I have been guided that splenda is the solution but I have no experience of this at all...

can you help?

NotQuiteCockney Sat 24-Oct-09 12:45:47

Maybe one of these? I haven't tried them, but they are tried and tested recipes, and you can see other people's ratings/reviews ...

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sat 24-Oct-09 16:49:16

thanks NQC but it is goign to need to be iced so it looks like another layer of the stacked cake

are there any diabetics in the house.. do you use splenda? or do you just avoid extra sugar

MissAnneElk Sat 24-Oct-09 16:56:16

Splenda is probably the best sweetener to use for cooking. Have a look on their website and it should give you a recipe with the quantity to use.

When you say you are doing a coeliac friendly layer - do you mean it will be just one layer in the cake? If yes, then that is really not coeliac friendly at all because the cross contamination will mean they can't eat it.

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Sat 24-Oct-09 17:01:48

Mmm, even tiny quantities of gluten are bad for coeliacs. Generally the whole house has to go gluten free or else the coeliac person needs a completely different set of chopping boards, utensils, everything.

Does this help on the Splenda?

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sat 24-Oct-09 17:53:51

hmm the lady who as ordered the cake is coeliac, as is her mother and one other family member, she is aware that the cake will be stacked (on a board)and iced in sugarpaste. They have not got a gluten free household... does this mean I won't have to panic too much about making both the cakes on the same day?

bramblebooks Sat 24-Oct-09 18:03:23

My son is diabetic and we don't do anything differently for him - we just adjust the dose of insulin. It may be different if you are cooking for someone who needs to control diet, usually T2 ime. My confusion there is that ds is T1 diabetic due to the genetic link with DH's coeliac disease. I cook a completely separate cake if I'm doing another with flour. Generally, though, if baking I'll just go completely 'unleaded' as the GF flour (doves farm) makes a nice light sponge.

It would be worth double checking how GF things have to be, some are not so sensitive as others.

FaintlyMacabre Sat 24-Oct-09 18:14:41

My DH is coeliac and diabetic (Type 1). He is not very sensitive to gluten and would be fine eating a GF cake that had been next to a gluten one.
As bramblebooks says, the Dove's Farm flour makes a good sponge anyway, so might be simpler to make all the cakes as GF.
The best thing for the diabetic to do would be avoid the sugarpaste as it's that that will play havoc with blood sugar levels. A slice of cake would be fine IMO.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sat 24-Oct-09 18:23:28

okey dokey, will go back to the client to double check what she wants me to do.

thanks ladies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now