Talk

Advanced search

Pumpkins

(9 Posts)
TheWorstWitch Fri 23-Oct-09 19:28:26

Bought a pumpkin to carve out and put candle in. Thought we'd use the flesh to make a soup / pie or something, but my childminder told me that you can't eat this kind of pumpkin.

Could this be true?

MaureenMLove Fri 23-Oct-09 19:29:34

Wrong!! DH saves the pulp every year and makes pumpkin curry! We've done it for the last 5 years or so, with no side effect!!

pofacedandproud Fri 23-Oct-09 19:29:58

No. Big orange pumpkin? Edible.

cornsilk Fri 23-Oct-09 19:30:09

mmmmmm - recipe please!

TheWorstWitch Fri 23-Oct-09 19:33:50

Thought as much.
Pumpkin curry sounds delish ... any chance of a recipe MaureenMLove? grin

PlasticBandit Fri 23-Oct-09 19:34:10

Hi, you certainly can eat this kind of pumpkin, but I personally wouldn't recommend it - it isn't poisonous/nasty or anything - it is just rather tasteless. Bland would be a compliment. The Halloween type of pumpkin is grown only for its looks and should probably be enjoyed just as a carved lantern. There are loads of pumpkins out there that do taste good, however - Crown Prince is the nicest, IMO.

MaureenMLove Fri 23-Oct-09 19:35:10

Ah. It's DH who does the cooking I'm afraid. I don't know! blush

He crushes lots of herbs and spices, fries them in a bit of oil, then adds a variety of root veg. Anything I can buy really. He cuts it into chunks, depending on how long things take to cook. I.E swede small, parsnips slightly bigger and pumpkin even bigger still.

Sorry, probably not a whole lot of help!

tvaerialmagpiebin Fri 23-Oct-09 19:36:09

I started a thread about my totally nasty pumpkin soup hereand there are lots of recipe suggestions. I made the pumpkin carrot cake and it is yummy. I am eating it now
,crumbs in keyboard emoticon>

TheWorstWitch Fri 23-Oct-09 21:09:00

Ooooo, thanks lankyalto

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now