Talk

Advanced search

Mince - does anyone else agree?

(16 Posts)
LuluDanceOnMyGrave Fri 23-Oct-09 18:35:10

Just had savoury mince for dinner, I usually buy the really lean stuff but there wasn't any today and the fattier 20% stuff was on special so I took a chance and bought it.

WOW!

Why didn't anyone tell me that mince doesn't have to taste like cardboard? I'd rather eat less mince than that horrid lean stuff. Sod low fat, FLAVOUR is what food needs!

ILikeToQuickstepItTangoIt Fri 23-Oct-09 18:37:04

I always get the lean steak mince, is that cardboard compared to 20% stuff as well?

I just have childhood memories of my mothers mince swimming in grase, which is why I get the lean stuff.

TrickOrTreatersDragOnTheNoose Fri 23-Oct-09 18:38:17

"savoury mince" [barf]

Brings back too many childhood memories of mince, mash and peas. And they're not good memories!

LuluDanceOnMyGrave Fri 23-Oct-09 18:40:35

But grease tastes goooood - and I put peas in it and served it with baked spuds. Have I committed some kind of crime against cuisine then? blush

I don't know about steak mince, maybe that's nicer? The price always puts me off though!

ILikeToQuickstepItTangoIt Fri 23-Oct-09 18:44:26

My mum's cooking was duff at the best of times, but the grey grease from mince was just grim.

I buy steak mince but not as much and bulk it out with veg.

lucykate Fri 23-Oct-09 18:44:40

we use the fattier stuff sometimes, just skim off the worst of the fat with a spoon before serving.

overmydeadbody Fri 23-Oct-09 18:45:38

How did you cook it?

Of course it tastes nicer, fat is a flavour enhancer grin

I don't buy the lean stuff, but I don't add any oil when cooking it either, and drain off the oil if there is too much of it.

Please don't tell me you just cooked mince on it's own and served it with peas and potatoes? Sounds like wartime food!shock

Do you mean bolognese or chilli or shepherd's pie filling or something?

brimfull Fri 23-Oct-09 18:46:50

eww no I prefer the lean stuff

Doesn't taste cardboard like here.

LuluDanceOnMyGrave Fri 23-Oct-09 18:55:13

No, lots of worcester sauce and a stock cube - hell, I was brought up on offal and spam, what's wrong with savoury mince? The kids stuffed it down!

And I fried it in its own fat, but I only cooked it for about 10-15 mins - any longer and it would have gone solid!

randomeuro Fri 23-Oct-09 18:58:39

My mums mice used to be bright green! Not quite sure how she managed that, cooking never was her forte...

Second lots of worcester sauce and a stock cube though, dash of red wine doesnt go amiss either :D

randomeuro Fri 23-Oct-09 18:59:25

lol @ mistype mince not mice, her cooking was bad but....:P

womblingfree Tue 27-Oct-09 23:07:25

If you want to cut the fat content or cost use half mince and half red lentils in your recipe.

Works really well for cottage pie, OK for chilli and (I think) least well for bolognese sauce (although the bechemal perks it up a bit if you are making lasagne with it).

GrimmaTheNome Tue 27-Oct-09 23:09:33

I get lean steak mince but its usually going into a bolog. sauce with smoked bacon - so I get enough flavourful fat from that.

Clary Tue 27-Oct-09 23:09:50

I always drain the mince after frying it in its own fat (ie not adding any) - an ond WW tip!

Tastes fine tho. I hate the grease you get otherwise.

BertieBotts Tue 27-Oct-09 23:23:16

Yep I use cheaper full-fat mince and drain the fat off, unless I want gravy and am not adding any other liquid. I also add knorr stock cubes, but since DS has been sharing our food I haven't bothered with that.

I like mince cooked with onion, garlic and a stock cube, served with mash and veg. I know everyone goes on about hating it but it's actually one of my favourite meals. It's basically a deconstructed cottage pie though.

IdrisTheDragon Tue 27-Oct-09 23:33:55

I always drain the fat off when I cook mince.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now