Talk

Advanced search

i have 3 and half large onions and a craving for onion soup! can anyone help with a EASY pg brain foolproof recipe?

(9 Posts)
madmissy Thu 22-Oct-09 16:09:47

grin

i have the onions, erm marg? some funky m&s sugar (brown) whit wine erm
oh garlic

think thats it

MaureenMLove Thu 22-Oct-09 16:13:22

Chop up all the onions & garlic and sweat in some butter until soft and transluscent. About 10 mins. Add a pint or maybe pint and half of chicken or veg stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins. Season at will.

My favourite thing is to add some nice bread toasted, to the top of it, grate some cheese on and stick it under the grill until melted.

Mmm, yummy!

madmissy Thu 22-Oct-09 16:17:37

ok i can do that.... does it have to be chicken stock? i read somewhere beef? could that work?

overmydeadbody Thu 22-Oct-09 18:27:34

Any old stock will do.

But do not use marg!!! Disgusting.

If you have no butter to soten the onions in then use oil.

Slice the onions into half moons. Don't chop them. Sweat them on low heat for ages in butter/oil. Put a lid on to stop them browning. You want them soft, meltingly soft, not crunchy.

Do what Mo says.

madmissy Thu 22-Oct-09 18:44:32

did it and tastes great! winged it a bit and added a few extras hmm but tastes great! very proud lol

well thats one craving down...

MaureenMLove Thu 22-Oct-09 19:27:40

Excellent! Glad you enjoyed it.

overmydeadbody Thu 22-Oct-09 19:56:04

excellent! Onion soup is lovely isn't it

stakethroughtheheartofgold Thu 22-Oct-09 20:02:12

next time do croutons to float on the top - it's the point of onion soup imho - brush slices of baguette with olive oil on both sides, toast in a hot oven then scrape with a cut clove of garlic and sprinkle with salt [hdrool]

madmissy Thu 22-Oct-09 20:18:31

i did do a kind of toast lol

had to make do with my own bread so i done toast with mozzarella lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now