Talk

Advanced search

Ham for a buffet

(11 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Thu 22-Oct-09 12:18:37

I've never made this before and I know it's a very basic question, but how do I cook? I'd like to do some sort of glaze, but all of the ones online look a bit complicated blush
Any simple ways that doesn't take too much time? Thanks muchly

notamumyetbutoneday Thu 22-Oct-09 13:24:48

It is so easy honestly. And OMFG out of this world gorgeous. I made one a few weeks ago for friends coming over...then had to make another one as DH and I demolished the forst one in about 20 minutes.

Buy a piece of gammon (smoked or unsmoked, up to you, I use unsmoked.) On the packet it will give you basic instructions. Basically stick the ham in a pan of water with some bayleaves and mustard seeds in and bring to the boil. Once at the boil it will be all foamy on the top. Drain this (keeping the liquid to use as stock if you want).

Then put in new water and bring to boil again and simmer for as long as it says on the packet. The longer the better IMO.

In a small bowl, mix together some wholegrain mustard and some honey. When the ham is done boiling, take it out and place in a baking dish. Remove the thickest layer of fat and then make some slashes in the remaining fatty bit (this will be obvious when you do it)and smear the glaze on. Bake in a low oven (150?160?) for as long as you want until really tender.

Then try not to eat the entire thing in one sitting. its torture.

BobbingForPeachys Thu 22-Oct-09 13:27:48

YOu can also do as notamum says but use warmed marmalade as the glaze

sheeplikessleep Thu 22-Oct-09 13:35:28

Fantastic - thank you so much, much appreciated!

alypaly Thu 22-Oct-09 15:49:34

i cut glace cheeries in half and stuck a cocktail stick thro them.it looks brilliant.
Also where i sored the fat a put a clove in the crisscross. that looks good too. Do that a xmas.

I do to notamummy.....but i use honey,dark brown sugar and enlish mustard all mixed together and keep basting it whilst cooking

notamumyetbutoneday Thu 22-Oct-09 15:57:27

ooh yes definitely keep basting, I forgot to say that.

Sunshinemummified Thu 22-Oct-09 16:01:54

Nigella does one basted in coca cola which is fab.

Reesie Thu 22-Oct-09 21:42:09

I do mine in the slow cooker. Throw it in on slow for the day. Just pop an inch of water in the bottom and a couple of teaspoons of honey.

I'm a vegetarian but dh who is a commited carnivore says it's the best ham he has ever tasted.

sheeplikessleep Thu 22-Oct-09 22:49:57

notamumyet - the ham we've got says 2:50 in the oven, that's the only instructions. it's 1.8kg. can i just check, would that be the same for boiling for that length of time?
then glaze it before finishing it in oven?
cheers

notamumyetbutoneday Fri 23-Oct-09 11:31:50

Just googled and boiling advice is 20 mins per 450g then another 20 minutes. So thats what i woudl do then glaze and bake in the oven.

I can't honestly remember how long I boiled and baked it for or what weights Ive used.

notamumyetbutoneday Fri 23-Oct-09 11:32:30

I would say err on the side of caution and cook it for longer than you think it needs. My grandma boild hers most of the day when she does it! shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now