Talk

Advanced search

What food would you make for a very small informal party, people coming at different times

(7 Posts)
PoisonToadstool Thu 22-Oct-09 09:16:40

DS's birthday on Saturday and we are just having a bit of an open house in the afternoon, so it will mostly be adults, and I don't know what to make - or cheat and buy?

Would a couple of cakes (one chocolate and birthday-ish, one apple or lemon drizzle maybe?) and something like home made sausage rolls do the job or is that too boring?

Last year I did a bit of a buffet with cheese, tuna, salad rolls, bowls of crisps, fresh fruit etc and it was mostly ignored because of cooing over DS but I don't want to go too far in the other direction either.

Whatever I do parents and ILs will probably judge badly anyway hmm

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 22-Oct-09 09:22:43

Big cheese board with some pate, grapes, walnuts, celery, Big basket of bread and crackers. Few bowls of crisps/nuts and olives. Couple of cakes. Alcohol. Job done smile

PoisonToadstool Thu 22-Oct-09 09:28:24

I guess I have an unsophisticated family as can imagine that being ignored - but bloody hell that would be okay, more for meeeee grin

V good idea, thanks smile and no work for me...

Also last year I bought lots of very nice wine and they only wanted cups of tea! Hence the focus on cake hmm

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 22-Oct-09 09:37:03

Oh no - a party without booze shock You'll have to excuse me, I'm pg so a bit obsessed with cheese, pate and wine at the moment. I can't wait !

If its in the afternoon, then I don't see any reason why cakes wouldn't be just fine. Maybe you could do an afternoon tea type thing with scones, cream and jam ?

PoisonToadstool Thu 22-Oct-09 09:43:58

Actually that is not a bad idea. I suppose I wanted to think that DS might eat something substantial as he will be hyped up and doubt he'd eat anything resembling dinner after everyone leaves but a couple of sandwiches won't hurt instead of anything cooked, will it?

DP makes lovely scones, and I can do a cake for DS. Big pot of tea, et voila!

It's weird, I obsessed about pate SO much during pregnancy - well DS is 2 on Sat and I've probably eaten it three times since he was born! Although now you've mentioned it I may have to go and get some! I'll eat a chunk on your behalf

MrsBadger Thu 22-Oct-09 09:53:08

cheat and buy it all

I would offer birthday cake, fruit loaf or scones, quiche or sausage rolls, crisps and dips

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Thu 22-Oct-09 22:04:16

Afternoon tea sounds lovely - but I'm a sucker for a good cheese board too.

A cheeseboard with lovely bread(plus pate for you!), scones with cream and jam (and maybe some strawberries if there are any decent ones around), birthday cake and cups of tea sounds lovely.

How about some homemade lemonade or ginger beer too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now