Talk

Advanced search

A lovely veg dish to go with sausages?

(21 Posts)
franch Wed 21-Oct-09 10:26:31

Something that takes up to an hour to cook. Was thinking maybe a selection of roast veg - butternut squash, root veg, red onions? Any tips to make that special, or some lovely alternatives?

Seededbiatch Wed 21-Oct-09 10:28:34

Erm....mash?

moaningminniewhingesagain Wed 21-Oct-09 10:29:39

I like potato gratin with sausages

Scootergrrrl Wed 21-Oct-09 10:29:42

Something saucy - maybe roast veg mixed with a tomato sauce or potato gratin.

moaningminniewhingesagain Wed 21-Oct-09 10:30:28

Or something like delias potatoes boulangere and put some leeks in it

MadameDuBain Wed 21-Oct-09 10:33:38

My fave is braised red cabbage - soften sliced onions in olive oil and butter, add finely sliced red cabbage (about half a large cabbage for a normal meal for 4), simmer with lid on, then after about 20 mins add large glass of red wine (or also works well with beer), and some salt, pepper, good splash of balsamic vinegar, bit of worcester sauce, 2 teaspoons brown sugar, stir and keep simmering for another 20-30 mins.

MadameDuBain Wed 21-Oct-09 10:34:06

(Would have this with mash too)

franch Wed 21-Oct-09 10:34:53

Lovely suggestions thanks. I meant apart from potatoes!

BertieBotts Wed 21-Oct-09 10:52:45

This
0pP): is really nice and barely any effort wink

BertieBotts Wed 21-Oct-09 10:53:20

Oops sorry for random typing, it was DS "helping"

puddock Wed 21-Oct-09 10:56:13

Rotkohl, like MadameDuBain! (I have apples, not onion, in mine though.) ANd if you make a whole red cabbages worth, it freezes just fine. Do it in the oven at the same time as the sossies and some potato wedges, bit of gravy...
Mmmm, think we'll have that tonight.

franch Wed 21-Oct-09 10:57:40

Thanks BB I got Sainsburys homepage with that link - could you maybe cut and paste??

franch Wed 21-Oct-09 11:02:27

Ooh I love anything appley with sausages puddock. Do you cut them into wedges? Skin on or off?

puddock Wed 21-Oct-09 11:08:26

Peel and chop. The recipe is more or less the same as MadameDuBain's except I do it in the oven rather than on the hob (so may take a bit longer). It's learnt-from-mum vague - melt some butter in a casserole dish, add 1-2 chopped apple (and a chopped onion if you like), stir in a couple of tbsp each of brown sugar and wine/balsamic vinegar, cover and cook for at least an hour (two would do no harm) on a lowish heat.
Guten Appetit!

franch Wed 21-Oct-09 11:12:12

Sounds gorgeous, puddock

ParisFrog Wed 21-Oct-09 11:15:38

My fave is ratatouille.

But a fave sausage recipe is "spicy sausages"

Onions, tin of tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, sausages (pre-grilled & chopped) served with rice or pasta. I cook the sausages then once I start heating water for the rice I start frying the onions etc.

BertieBotts Wed 21-Oct-09 20:09:03

Ah OK sorry - it's the sausages and roasted veg recipe from their "meals for a fiver" section.

* Olive oil
* 500g sweet potatoes
* 3 peppers (from mixed bag)
* 2 loose red onions, peeled and quartered
* Freshly ground black pepper

* 454g Butcher's Choice large pork sausages
* 300g basics broccoli
* Dried mixed herbs

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, gas mark 6.
2. Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil into a baking tray and place in the oven for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, chop the sweet potatoes and 3 mixed peppers into small chunks and season with pepper.
4. Place the sausages, sweet potatoes and peppers in the baking tray, and add a pinch of dried mixed herbs. Roast for 20 minutes.
5. Add the red onions to the sausages and vegetables and roast for a further 15 minutes. Toss thoroughly. Cook for another 10 minutes, toss again and ensure the sausages are browned.
6. Meanwhile, cook the broccoli in a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and serve with the sausages and roasted vegetables.

(We don't bother with the broccoli - sometimes we have carrots with it, sometimes not. I find that most sausages cook in the oven in 20 minutes.)

BertieBotts Wed 21-Oct-09 20:10:28

Sorry - I meant that any sausages tend to be cooked by the time they say. And we never need the last 10 minutes they advise, but we do have a fan oven.

NotaStepfordWife Wed 21-Oct-09 20:15:08

Try this. I love sausages with lentils - good alternative to pots imo.

shyandmighty Fri 23-Oct-09 11:51:32

A rosti type thing is good.
Grate potato, carrot, courgette and finely slice leeks or spring onions. add salt, pepper and a sprinkle of dried mint, 2 tablespoons of flour and an egg to bind together, then fry. They're lovely.

Bucharest Fri 23-Oct-09 13:36:01

Oh, was just going to start a similar thread but will bump this one...was going to do sausage and mash but we had Shepherd's Pie last night so am thinking of some sort of bakey thing:
Have got
Leeks, mushrooms, cheese, white wine, carton of UHT cream.....will that be all right all kind of lobbed together and then perhaps with a thinly sliced potato topping?????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now