Talk

Advanced search

Calling all Parents of Active 2 yr old ...

(30 Posts)
MissWooWoo Wed 21-Oct-09 10:14:23

... what did your dd/ds eat yesterday?

All I seem to hear at the moment is "mummy eat! hungry" and am running out of ideas.

Looking for inspiration, particularly nutritious snack ideas.

ShowOfHands Wed 21-Oct-09 10:24:37

DD is 2.5 and yesterday she ate:

Breakfast: weetabix with warm milk, small banana, one crumpet with marmite

Snack: apple and breadsticks

Lunch: Cheese and humous pitta bread, yoghurt, grapes

Snack: flapjack, frozen peas, raw carrot

Dinner: Roast lamb, carrots, parsnips, broccoli, peas, potatoes, gravy, then rice pudding

She has free access to the fruit bowl and helps herself to things from the fridge like yoghurts.

Lionstar Wed 21-Oct-09 10:31:45

My 2.8 DD goes through phases of monster eating. She will eat 3 cooked meals a day (2 at nursery 1 at home) plus breakfast, 2 snacks and random fruit. Savoury muffins are good options for healthy snacks, I make up big batches e.g. spinach & cheese, broccoli, walnut etc and freeze them, they defrost quickly (even quicker in micro) and are yummy. Veggie nuggets are another good freezer option (good recipe on Aitch's BLW website).

Other quick meal options - sandwiches (cream cheese & marmite on wholemeal usually), crumpets, scrambled eggs, raw veg with hoummus or cream cheese dip, soup (a BIG favourite, but messy), sardines on toast, porridge with stewed apple

Hope you find some inspiration

BornToFolk Wed 21-Oct-09 10:33:52

Don't know, he was at nursery and DP picked him up. grin

He had a snack of houmous, breadsticks, tomato and cucumber when he got in, with a cup of milk. I am very proud of this as he's never been into raw veg, or milk.

He sometimes has a cup of soup when he gets in from nursery. I made beetroot and apple soup that went down really well (amazing colour and sweetish flavour). Or usually some variation on oatcake/rice cake/breadstick with cheese and fruit.

Other than that snacks are usually fruit (fresh or dried) or a biscuit.

He had porridge and banana for breakfast today, will probably have egg on toast for lunch and ratatouille with pasta or mashed potato for dinner.

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Wed 21-Oct-09 10:35:05

shock

No wonder DS is so skinny! (he is only 23mo though)

Breakfast is a huge bowl of Ready Brek with fruit, sometimes a slice of toast if he wants it

Mid-morning - Cup of milk

Lunch - Pitta bread with marmite, cake bar or flapjack, yoghurts

Mid-afternoon, crackers and fruit

Dinner - Fish pie with peas and sweetcorn, plus fruit and/or yoghurts.

MissWooWoo Wed 21-Oct-09 10:49:43

Oooo beetroot and apple soup sounds good - soups always go down well with her and despite eating no vegetables at all in their "natural" state dd will wolf them down if liquidised - even spinach!

savoury muffins - brilliant idea

dd won't touch hummous/eggs/cooked or raw vegetables with a barge pole - despite all my efforts hmm

MissWooWoo Wed 21-Oct-09 10:51:39

um, sorry Lionstar what is "Aitch's BLW website" ?

SCARYspicemonster Wed 21-Oct-09 10:52:57

Corn on the cob is the only veg my DS will eat. He won't eat it off the cob but he likes biting things

Rice pudding is a good stuffer-upper

Lionstar Wed 21-Oct-09 11:04:49

Mumsnetter Aitch 'discovered' Baby Led Weaning and started a blog about it. This turned into a forum with lots of wonderful advice about weaning (and many other things). Here is the link to the forum, it includes a recipe section where you can find the veggie nuggets (basically any random veg with breadcrumbs and cheese) and lots of other handy recipes for weaning and otherwise.
It's my second home (after Mumsnet smile)

BornToFolk Wed 21-Oct-09 11:05:24

Beetroot and apple soup was very yummy - I think it was about 3 medium sized beetroot, one cooking apple, one large potato, some stock and apple juice and you can stir some Greek yoghurt in too. Makes for slightly alarming poos though! grin

Does everyone else's two year old still have whole milk? I know you can switch to semi-skimmed now and was considering doing it for DS. He's a big lad and I do worry about his weight sometimes. He has a good appetite in general and eats a lot of cheese and full fat yogurt so I'm not sure if he needs the fat in the milk too.

Lionstar Wed 21-Oct-09 11:08:26

Semi-skimmed recommended from 2 years I believe. Babies need the extra fat in the first 2 years, but after that it needs to be watched in the diet. We do give s-s goats milk and use lower-fat options for creme-fraiche etc, BUT I still use butter and cream in cooking for the taste. Everything in moderation.

MissWooWoo Wed 21-Oct-09 11:23:28

thanks for the link and recipe for soup.

I give dd a cup of semi skimmed milk when she wakes and with any cereal she might have. I give her a cup of warm skimmed milk at bedtime as I seem to think this gives her less wind and therefore less night wakings (hardly ever sleeps through). She does have full fat yoghurt (Rachel's baby ones with no added sugar) and cheese when she's not gone off it.

ShinyAndNew Wed 21-Oct-09 11:31:06

A few spoonfulls of crunchynut cornflakes with sliced apple. A few chips and 2 king prawns. A banana. A few spoons of Panacklty. Another banana. A yoghurt.

Dd2 is far far too busy do something as boring as sitting to eat.

BlueChampagne Wed 21-Oct-09 13:40:42

DS is 2.2 and yesterday ate:

breakfast: 1.5 weetabix with raspberries and some toast

snack: breadsticks

lunch: 1 egg omelette with tomatoes, cheese and spinach, followed by fruit salad with yoghurt and a few chocolate buttons

snack: fruit cake

tea: veg soup followed by blueberry, raspberry & banana milkshake

He's on semi-skimmed milk but full fat yoghurt and cheese.

Herecomesthesciencebint Wed 21-Oct-09 14:07:34

DS2 is 2.5 yesterday he had

breakfast porridge with strawberries and apricots

snack apple and breadsticks at playgroup

lunch jacket pot with beans and cheese

pm banana then choc brownie

tea smoked trout, pasta, carrots, peas, broccoli and runner beans

pud yoghurt and pineapple

MissWooWoo Wed 21-Oct-09 14:44:08

and what does everyone think about the organix range of snacks (cheese 'n' herb puffs etc) ?

dd loves them but am wondering if I'm just setting her up to be a crisp addict!

envy at all of you who manage to get dc to eat vegetables as they were intended. I thought I was doing well getting dd to eat peas and carrots but now she won't even eat those unless blitzed in a soup sad. Oh for the days of baby purees when all sorts of veg combinations were eaten with glee <sigh>

BornToFolk Wed 21-Oct-09 14:54:35

DS has those crisp things sometimes, for a snack or to go with a sandwich. Only about once a month and not a whole bag in a go...actually that reminds me that I've got a bag open, which have probably gone soft by now...

DS can be a bit hit and miss with vegetables. I just hide some in soups and sauces so I know he's getting some and keep offering them plain as well. He'll usually eat at least some but after everything else on his plate has gone!

MissWooWoo Wed 21-Oct-09 15:09:24

wow! BornToFolk my dd just ate a whole packet of the carrot sticks while I whizzed round the supermarket blush, she eats a couple of packets a week !!! she did eat some grapes too though smile

meep Wed 21-Oct-09 15:25:27

envy at all of you who consistantly get your 2yo's to eat. I am greeted by "my no hungry, my no want it, my no like it, yuck" at every mealtime bar breakfast <sigh>

It took her half an hour to eat a yoghurt last night!

My 7mo eats more than her big sister!

SCARYspicemonster Wed 21-Oct-09 18:28:39

Oh meep - my DS can go days when he barely eats a thing. And then suddenly he's ravenous and will eat vast quantities. He has an extremely limited diet when he's with me though - he will eat all kinds of stuff at the CM's but point blank refuses at home

<sigh>

meep Wed 21-Oct-09 18:33:40

I am sticking to full fat milk for her - she is a narrow wee thing - can't wear pullups as they just slide down her and leak grin!

Glad to hear it is not just my cooking that gets sniffed at!!!

SCARYspicemonster Wed 21-Oct-09 18:35:41

I don't bother cooking proper food for him any more. I have lost count of the lovely things I have made him specially and he just pushes away. We are also on ff milk here - at least I know that if he eats nothing in the day, he will always drink his milk

ImSoNotTelling Wed 21-Oct-09 18:40:52

DD 2.2

Brekkie Porridge with raisins in made with whole milk

Then an apple

Then toast with butter (one slice)

Then another apple

And she just polished off a load of fish pie I made yesterday, with sweetcorn and whole milk to drink, followed by a slice of apple tart her dad made.

She doesn't seem to do lunch hmm but always has a massive supper.

Have you checked out the recipes on MN - they are arranged by age I think smile

JenAT Wed 21-Oct-09 18:44:52

Wow, I am v impressed by the wide variety foods some of your kids eat and also the amount!
My dd 2years yesterday ate:
Breakfast about 1/2 weetabix, few branflakes, few sultana's with full fat milk, then half a crumpet.
Lunch: half a cheese and ham toastie ie 1 slice of bread, and 1 slice of cucumber.
Snack: tiny piece of malt loaf. about 5 grapes
Tea: boiled egg, a few soldiers and half a pear.
She is not really interested in food and never tells me she is hungry, but seems to be growing ok and is full of energy ,too full as she never sits still!

waitingforbedtime Wed 21-Oct-09 18:47:14

Can someone put a link to the veggie nuggets please? Been on Aitch's forum and on the recipe bit but cant find it?? Sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now