Talk

Advanced search

Question about freezing food

(6 Posts)
shoptilidrop Tue 20-Oct-09 19:07:32

Right, - i want to get ahead with xmas and im going to be off work for a few weeks following an op. So i thought its an ideal time to do so.
Been looking in my nigella xmas book and a lot of her stuff you can freeze ahead, but she says freeze for a week, or two weeks or a month.
Whats going to happen if i freeze it for longer ( ie 6 weeks) It shouldnt go horrible should i? and will i lose much flavour/texture?

Also, on another thread someone mentioned freezing vichey carrots... wondering if i will lose anything in the freezing? and how best to reheat? any ideas?

LowLevelWhingeing Tue 20-Oct-09 19:14:35

I think it depends what you're thinking of freezing. What's on the menu?

shoptilidrop Tue 20-Oct-09 19:20:14

Bread sauce
cranberry sauce
mince pies
pastry ( for more mince pies)
stuffing
vichey carrots
sticky gingerbread cake
bourbon glazed ribs

LowLevelWhingeing Wed 21-Oct-09 10:01:22

hmmm...<thinking hard>.......

IMHO I think the ribs will be fine.
The Waitrose website reckons bread sauce is fine to freeze for 3 months.
Yahoo Answers reckons you can freeze cranberry sauce for a year.
Pastry should be fine.
Stuffing should be fine.
here's how to freeze cakes.

No idea what vichey carrots are, but I would prefer fresh carrots as they lose something of the texture when frozen.

overmydeadbody Fri 23-Oct-09 07:02:08

6 weeks will be fine.

Cooked food keeps perfectly fine in the freezer for six months. In will only loose flavour or texture if stored longer than this.

bacon Fri 23-Oct-09 13:32:13

I'm not sure about some of these guidelines. I suppose they have to quote these times to keep up with foods standards agency requirements. I have never had a problem freezing foods for a long time - I have never had a problem even freezing for over 1 year. When freezing be careful of the edges particularly with meat as it gets freezer burn which spoils the texture.

I agree - do you really need to freeze carrots? A lot of chefs recommend cooking the night before and reheating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now