Talk

Advanced search

Packed lunch ideas needed to keep me going through the day

(6 Posts)
Lovemyshoes Tue 20-Oct-09 17:46:27

I am wanting some quick ideas for packed lunches during the week for myself.

I am due to start working full-time in a new job next week, I haven't worked full-time for so long I am at a loss what to take.

I can eat most things and I know the canteen has a microwave, fridge, grill etc.

My job will involve long periods of extreme concentration so need things to keep me going throughout the day

Recipes, tips etc welcome. (P.S. I have huge appetite)

TheArmadillo Tue 20-Oct-09 17:53:28

Have something like porridge or oat based stuff for breakfast with some protein.

I have yoghurt and banana at morning break.

At lunch either a vegetable based soup with a sandwich or oat cakes with something protein (sometimes smoked salmon or boiled egg) and then fruit.
Or I have couscous (with harrissa mixed in) with tuna mayo/sweetcorn/cucumber/spring onion with then fruit.
Or bread, salad and tinned sardines with then fruit.

Occassionally I have jacket potato with tuna from local shop but they are so huge I don't need anything else.

Afternoon snack tends to be whether we have time but I would take something like a nutty flapjack or a boiled egg or banana with oatcakes.

Also make sure you always have a glass of water to keep hydrated as dehydration causes tiredness and lack of concentration.

Lovemyshoes Tue 20-Oct-09 17:59:17

Thank you.

Quaker oats are my favourite, so that will be no hardship grin. What is harrissa?

Some good ideas there, I like everything that you have mentioned.

TheArmadillo Tue 20-Oct-09 18:04:12

harrissa is a spice paste (african I think but sainsburies sells it) basic description I just stir a teaspoon through when I cook couscous.

The best idea if you have large appetite is to have protein at every meal/snack (so meat/fish/nuts/pulses) and to concentrate on slow burning carbs (so your oats/wholemeal bread/brown rice etc).

Lovemyshoes Tue 20-Oct-09 18:06:08

Thank you ever so much for your help.

I know it was a daft question, but I don't have a clue.

At the minute I only work a couple of days a week and very rarely take lunch in as I finish an hour afterwards and find it a waste of time.

I love couscous, but, I find that when I cook it and eat it the next day it is all one big lump, I don't know whether I am doing something wrong.

TheArmadillo Tue 20-Oct-09 18:11:09

the clumping thing is normal - is tricky to get right. Stir through a small amount of olive oil. Or I find if your mixing it in with something with a dressing that tends to sort it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now