Talk

Advanced search

indoor picnic ideas please!!!

(19 Posts)
sweetmonkey Mon 13-Jun-05 12:46:27

i am planning a proper night with DP on saturday night as we havent had one for ages, thought of doing an indoor picnic just wanted some ideas of food to do please.
it will be our main meal of day so it needs to be something that is quite filling but not too much IYSWIM.
already thought of the usual strawberries and cream but its really savoury things i need ideas with
TIA

compo Mon 13-Jun-05 12:47:49

could you go mad and go to M&S or Waitrose and buy lots of lovely little things like spring rolls, mini sausage rolls etc

sweetmonkey Mon 13-Jun-05 12:49:58

yeah thats what i was thinking. thought sausage rolls, cocktail sausages, maybe some new potatoes etc
just wanted other people opinions
do you reckon they do like selection packs as it were?

Iklboo Mon 13-Jun-05 12:50:23

Places like ASDA do trays of Tex-Mex or Indian/Chinese nibbles, filled potato skins etc that you can heat up before hand and serve. DH & I do "nibbles night" about once a month or so. They're not that dear and the two of us can get quite full for less than £10.

sweetmonkey Mon 13-Jun-05 12:52:13

excellent thanks . just want it to be romantic and thought we could maybe feed each other then too, gonna get a couple of bottles of wine too. hope this all goes to plan

compo Mon 13-Jun-05 12:54:05

don't worry, after the wine you won't mind what you eat How about champagne and caviar?!!!

sweetmonkey Mon 13-Jun-05 12:57:17

champagne i can do but caviar i think i will pass on . cant spend alot as money a bit tight at mo. i only usually drink red wine as white gives me heartburn but i do like champagne. do you know any cheaper nice alternatives?
plus bubbly stuff makes me a bit more "free" so to speak and more likly to be adventurous

soapbox Mon 13-Jun-05 12:57:28

For romance I think the food needs to be bit more seductive than sausage rolls

I would do asparagus spears with a melted butter dip, parma ham and figs, squidgy cheeses, tiger prawns with mayo to dip, tomato and mozerella salad, then something with a bit of a kick to it, spicy guacamole maybe, hot rice salad??

Rather than cream with the strawberries, melt a bar of green and blacks in the micro (30secs or so) and use that to dip the strawberries (grapes work too) in!

Have a lovely evening

soapbox Mon 13-Jun-05 12:58:47

Cava is a good alternative to champagne! Can get it for around the £4-5 a bottle mark.

sweetmonkey Mon 13-Jun-05 12:59:52

ha ha soapbox LOL see why i need the wine to make me adventurous!!!!

im a bit of a fussy eater you see so it needs to be stuff we both like.

im hopeless!!!!!

i'll just get him drunk if all else fails!!

octavia Mon 13-Jun-05 21:36:23

M&S have a 3 for 2 offer on their deli stuff at the moment, plus they do a really nice new zealand sparkling wine. Have a lovely time

sweetmonkey Tue 14-Jun-05 08:27:20

ah thanks octavia. gonna pop down thre on sat and see what they have!!

flamesparrow Tue 14-Jun-05 08:28:15

Piles of cheese and french stick.

triceratops Tue 14-Jun-05 09:35:43

smoked salmon and blinis?

sweetmonkey Thu 16-Jun-05 14:43:45

OK i went shopping last night and bought the following:

sausage rolls
cocktail sausages
chick nuggets
chick satay
potato wedges
mini pizzas
cucumber and carrot sticks

dolly mixtures
choc raisins

cava
red wine

strawberries
cream
and choc for melting

i know hardly romantic food but i know its stuff we both like

i have the nice blanket to put down and a lovely big candle to go in corner of room, just wondered what ideas you have to add to my plan
im going to try and make sure the tv stays off so we can chat and stuff and just have some music on in background

thanks all for yr help

compo Thu 16-Jun-05 15:07:02

wow that all sounds yum!

sweetmonkey Thu 16-Jun-05 15:10:26

hopefully it will be . fingers crossed x

compo Thu 16-Jun-05 15:11:59

can I come? (although I guess that would rather spolit the ambience!!!)

sweetmonkey Thu 16-Jun-05 15:13:27

more the merrier LOL

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: