Talk

Advanced search

Chicken Breast - any recipes please? I want to try something nice and yum

(30 Posts)
Bellared Mon 19-Oct-09 22:43:49

When DH gets paid we've started getting a catering sized tray of chicken breasts from the meat cash and carry round the corner (rather than go to the supermarket and pay more) and I'm running out of ideas and usually end up with stir frys or pasta.

Any variations on the aforementioned will be appreciated alsogrin.

I have a trusty slow cooker too wink.

Ewe Mon 19-Oct-09 22:46:19

Stuff with mozzarella and wrap in parma ham, goes down a treat here.

Chopped up and cooked with leeks, white wine, chicken stock and green beans (add some cream if you're feeling naughty) - leave to cook down and serve.

Chicken fajitas/wraps with salad

Ewe Mon 19-Oct-09 22:49:53

Do you like curry? Quite a few variations you can do with that.

Parmesan crusted chicken with roast toms and red onions... mmm.

I love jerk chicken but no clue how to make it despite practically living on chicken! Hopefully someone else on here might have a good recipe.

Bellared Mon 19-Oct-09 23:30:22

We love curry (DH can't handle it though cos he has a stoma and it reacts baaaad). DS eats what we eat so I might have to leave out the wine!

Mmmm, I think I'll try the roast veg tomorrow, I've got some Fennel for DS to try so I'll throw that in too.

Thanks Ewe!

BlingLoving Tue 20-Oct-09 10:02:50

Wrap with some parma ham or slices of bacon and put in a roasting tray then pack in tomatoes around (sliced in half if they're bigger than plum tomatos), drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with some herbs/chilli. Toss in a few garlic cloves too. Cook in the oven for about 45 minutes. The tomatoes will be soft and gooey and there should be some yummy sauce that you can pour over.

[based on a recipe someone on here recommended to me - not sure who!]

Also, we steam them then place them under a grill topped with feta cheese for a minute or two.

Bucharest Tue 20-Oct-09 10:04:28

Chicken philadephia and pesto...same as the mozzarella and parma ham recipe, but mash some philly (or any other cream cheese) with pesto, and stuff the breast with the mixture, then wrap in the parma ham.

S'like chicken kiev for the new millenium!

Seededbiatch Tue 20-Oct-09 10:05:59

I was going to suggest fajitas but Ewe got there first.

You could make a pie or chicken noodle soup.

missorinoco Tue 20-Oct-09 10:11:00

Baked chicken, cherry tomatoes, olives and lemon.

Put chicken in a dish with lemon juice, grated rind, some cherry tomatoes and olives. Bake for 20 mins. Gobble up with new potatoes.

Yum.

BlingLoving Tue 20-Oct-09 10:16:38

Also, we eat a lot of chicken salad. Lightly fry your chicken breasts and then slice finely (or even tear) and make a salad with a wide variety of flavours and textures (we like lettuce, peppers, avo and cucumber, but whatever works for you) then make up a dressing with greek yoghurt, lemon and a bit of olive oil. Delicious.

Or do a Thai version with chilli, soy sauce, and lime.

wukter Tue 20-Oct-09 10:21:30

Put your chicken breasts in an oven dish and top with a handful of grated cheddar and a blob of grainy mustard. Stays yummy and moist and makes a nice sauce to pour over greens and pots/rice.

Cies Tue 20-Oct-09 10:26:00

Another vote for a salad here. I fillet the breasts so they are flat and thin. Then marinate in some olive oil, garlic, dried herbs (thyme and rosemary good, but whatever you've got), salt and pepper. Heat a frying pan medium high and fry the chicken til golden and going crispy at the edges (about 5 mins). Then slice or rip and serve on top of a salad of crispy lettuce, spring onion, sweetcorn and grated carrot.

ladylush Tue 20-Oct-09 10:26:02

Ewe - the parmesan crusted chicken sounds lovely. Have you got the recipe?

Ewe Tue 20-Oct-09 10:39:55

Can't remember where I got the original recipe from, think there are a few variations but I do the following.

Mix parmesan with breadcrumbs and herbs.

Warm some butter or oil with some garlic in a pan, dip the chicken in to coat it and then dip the chicken into parmesan mix until fully covered.

Bake in oven until cooked and golden brown - normally about 35mins. For DD I normally cut the chicken in little bits and then they are like posh chicken nuggets!

ladylush Tue 20-Oct-09 10:53:50

Sounds yummy. Do you roast the red onion?

StirlingNeedsAHoliday Tue 20-Oct-09 16:27:27

I do something like those parmesan breadcrumbed chicken pieces and the dc love them - they call it bang-bang chicken because I bang the chicken fillets flat.

Then slice them into strips, coat the strips in flour, then some egg, then put into the brown breadcrumbs mixed with chopped parsley and grated parmesan.

The brown breadcrumbs really makes a difference and gives them a lovely flavour smile

Bellared Wed 21-Oct-09 14:30:40

OMG, all of this sounds really lush. Thank you for the ideas! DS was not into chicken but I think it was because I was not chopping the chunks up for him (he normally stuffs everything in his mouth at once anyway) so we shredded it and he ate it.

Who needs Jamie Oliver when you have Mumsnet?

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Wed 21-Oct-09 18:27:10

Chicken dijon with mashed potatoes-chicken in a white sauce w/dijon mixed in. Chicken divan-chicken with a white sauce with parmesan mixed in over cooked broccoli. These are two favorites here and what the kids really love is a spaghetti casserole that features shredded chicken and creamed chicken soup. It's snowing here so think I'll make that tonight, actually.

Bellared Thu 22-Oct-09 13:26:57

Is the white sauce the flour/butter/milk one? Then dijon added?

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Thu 22-Oct-09 15:23:24

Yup-I do with cream and chicken stock.

Bellared Fri 23-Oct-09 13:53:54

Yum, I'll get the stuff from Aldi over the weekend and give them all a go. Not all at the same time obviously!

grin

Thank you all!

Doodleydoo Fri 23-Oct-09 14:02:34

Does the chicken have skin on still? Really nice one is to boil large chunks of Leek and Potatoe until just tender. Then put some herbed philly under the skin of the chicken, put leek/potato into a baking tray with the chicken on top and cook.

VVVVVVVV nice, might make it myself over the weekend........................ skin lovely and crunchy/soft cheese/scrummy veg.

OR
Buy some Harissa and spread on chicken, bake served with baked potatos and sour cream.
(Hot but again v nice........) and harissa last for a v long time so though can be expensive will do several meals..........

LadyOfTheFlowers Fri 23-Oct-09 14:04:47

Was going to suggest Jamie Olivers' Chicken Maryland.

OMG, tis orgasmic.

Iklboo Fri 23-Oct-09 14:06:36

I've jusy orderded the stuff from the organic delievry place we have but next week we're having wild mushroom & garlic stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in Serrano ham to be served with baby new potatoes, green beans and a white wine sauce <yummy>

Mcdreamy Fri 23-Oct-09 14:07:06

Which book is that in LotF?

Bellared Fri 23-Oct-09 14:13:46

LotF - How do you make that? Any food that make's you do a love wee is ALWAYS worth trying!

No, sorry, it has no skin. If any of you live near Astley in Manchester or have a Meat Mart/Gabbots Farm near them they do a big box of about 24 chicken breasts of £25.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now