Talk

Advanced search

Shaped cake mould - how do I know quantity of batter to make?

(6 Posts)
maggiethecat Mon 19-Oct-09 20:23:35

Just bought a Mickey shaped tin and there are no instructions about quanities. Is there a way to work this out?

BonjourIvresse Mon 19-Oct-09 20:33:56

if you have other tins, fill the mickey tin with water ad measure how much water fills it then see which of your normal size tins is a near match and add an eggs worth to be on the safe side. You can always make some fairy cakes if you have too much batter

maggiethecat Mon 19-Oct-09 23:46:01

now why didn't I think of that??!

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 19-Oct-09 23:48:05

try cakecentral.com, they have lots of instructions for Wilton shaped tins. Though the water method is genius!

maggiethecat Mon 19-Oct-09 23:57:50

thanks geraldine. do you think they'll offer tips on icing shaped cakes. have used fondant icing once when i bravely did dd's christening cake but never iced a cake before or since and am not sure about whether to use glace (?) or fondant. pointers to websites/other resources would be helpful.

geraldinetheluckygoat Tue 20-Oct-09 18:18:59

If you join the forum they will definitely help you! They are very friendly mostly...I would use either buttercream or fondant.
Try the wilton site for instructions, its quite good! Alot of people seem to decorate those shaped cakes with buttercream, piped using a star shaped nozzle piping stars all over in different colours. like this is this like your pan? If you do a search for mickey mouse in their search youll get a few come up, but to look at all of them, you may have to join the site.
People in the forums are helpful!
If you plan to use black icing, fondant or buttercream, it will be hard to colour black, so you could buy it (if fondant), or for colouring buttercream, Ive read that its easier to colour it a dark colour like blue, then add the black...
If you can be bothered, I would do a practice run, then it wont be stressful when you inevitably end up decorating the party cake the night before!! Good luck grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now