Talk

Advanced search

cake decorating experts here please - really need your help

(8 Posts)
TheFoosa Mon 19-Oct-09 16:33:14

I have to decorate a birthday cake, but previous attempts have been disasterous

when i stick the icing on the cake, it gets covered in cake crumbs and ends up looking all bumby

am i making the wrong kind of icing (just water & icing sugar, don't know what it's called)

any help greatly appreciated, please speak slowly & clearly because I know nothing

tia

TheFoosa Mon 19-Oct-09 16:33:42

bumpy not bumby hmm

Littlefish Mon 19-Oct-09 16:41:17

The easiest way I have found is to buy some ready-roll fondant icing from the supermarket

Then, you can just roll a large circle - big enough to cover the whole top of the cake and down the sides. Cover the whole cake top and sides with non-lumpy jam (warmed up in the microwave to make it a bit runnier. GThen lay the icing over the top and smooth it down. Cut off all the extra at the bottom.

That's how I would do it.

Xavielli Mon 19-Oct-09 16:43:36

Definitely the wrong kind of icing.

You can do buttercream icing and it could work better. Like Littlefish says sugarpaste/ready roll icing is the easiest way to get a cake to look good.

Xavielli Mon 19-Oct-09 16:46:28

Oh. Just thought. If you do use either glaice icing (the one you have been using) or buttercream you need to do a crumb coat. This is a very thin layer to catch all the crumbs. you allow that to dry and then do a thicker layer of the icing and make it smooth, this will stop the crumbs.

You should do this even if using sugarpaste as it helps it to stick. ( and if like me, think jam is gross)

sowhatis Mon 19-Oct-09 16:48:31

i use royal icing over a base of buttercream. make sure the icing isnt too thin x

TheFoosa Mon 19-Oct-09 17:03:20

thanks everyone, very helpful

think i will try butter icing as cake is a fiddly shape

LolaAnn Mon 19-Oct-09 17:14:03

definately do buttercream icing, just google for a recipe. whip it up really nice, then do a thin coat (which will get a bit crumby, dont worry) and then wait for it to dry a bit and either do another thick coat which will be nice and clean or cover with sugarpaste/fondant rolled out from supermarket.

oh cake is fiddly shape, stick with buttercream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now