Talk

Advanced search

Anyone ever made TORTILLAS at home?

(13 Posts)
PlumBumMum Mon 19-Oct-09 12:29:23

I have a recipe I might try making them tonight?
Anybody ever tried them are should I just buy abpack when I'm doing the schoolrun?

overmydeadbody Mon 19-Oct-09 12:31:31

easier and less time consuming to buy them tbh, as they are so good bought.

But I have made them in the past, yes.

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 19-Oct-09 12:32:53

Not trying to put you off, but had a disaster last week trying to make them.

Corn tortillas though.

PlumBumMum Mon 19-Oct-09 12:34:09

Thats what I was wondering,
recipe looks simple enough but if someone came on and said yes they taste so much nicer homemade I was going to consider it

PlumBumMum Mon 19-Oct-09 12:36:00

looks like shop bought then, will leave until a weekend if I'm going to be adventurous

overmydeadbody Mon 19-Oct-09 12:40:52

no they don't taste much better homemade, it's what's in them that makes them nicer to be honest, so focus on what you will fill them with smile

PlumBumMum Mon 19-Oct-09 12:44:38

Overmydeadbody thank you just reminded me to take chicken out of freezer. oops looks at clock

overmydeadbody Mon 19-Oct-09 12:49:57

lol

stressedHEmum Mon 19-Oct-09 13:54:51

I make them regularly. They are really easy, only take about 20 minutes from start to finish and taste much better.

PlumBumMum Mon 19-Oct-09 17:02:58

Think I'm going to have to try the shop didn't have any, guess its fate, better get a move on

stressedHEmum Mon 19-Oct-09 17:08:21

Remember to roll them out as thinly as possible. They only take about 30 seconds each side in a dry frying pan. If you add a little, tiny bit of baking powder into your dough, it won't matter if you roll them out a little too thickly, as they will puff a wee bit and stay light.

MikeStand Mon 19-Oct-09 17:31:10

Much nicer homemade. Shop bought are very solid and have more fat in them. You can do the rolling and layer them with greaseproof and cook them later.

SlackSally Tue 20-Oct-09 19:15:04

I lived with a mexican guy at uni who, just to fulfil all the stereotypes, had his own tortilla press.

They were, of course, corn based and they were bloody delicious. We used to have tortilla parties.

Has to be said, though, that they bore no resemblance whatsoever to shop bought ones. They were much heavier and more mealy- imagine the difference between sliced white bread and granary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now