Talk

Advanced search

Where to go for a posh lunch in London?

(55 Posts)
LyraSilvertongue Mon 19-Oct-09 11:56:21

I'm being taken out for lunch in central London but i can't think where I want to go.Any suggestions? Don't want to spend more han abot £60 per head.

WartoScreamo Mon 19-Oct-09 11:57:41

Quaglinos?

bibbitybobbityCAT Mon 19-Oct-09 11:58:52

The Ivy. Still the best. Or Joe Allen in Covent Garden.

TeamEdward Mon 19-Oct-09 11:59:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stealthsquiggle Mon 19-Oct-09 12:03:28

Not that I have been, yet (although we went to Petrus and it was fab), but how about a £35 fixed price lunch (would leave something for drinks) at Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley?

LyraSilvertongue Mon 19-Oct-09 12:08:31

I'll have a look at Marcus Wareing, thanks.
What kind of food is Quaglino's? Italian?
Quite fancy The Ivy but it's difficult to get a table isn't it, unless you're a celeb?

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Mon 19-Oct-09 12:10:48

The Wolseley seemed to be the place to be last year, although I am probably hopelessly out of touch now.

If you can go as far as Kensington then personally I would go for Clarke's.

LyraSilvertongue Mon 19-Oct-09 12:13:33

Mmm, the Wolseley's menu looks good. Lots of seafood. What's it like atmosphere-wise? Modern? Old and stuffy?

fillybuster Mon 19-Oct-09 12:13:47

How about Scotts or J Sheekeys if you like fish? Scotts is particularly fab. The Ivy tends to have late/early tables available at short notice and will also always seat you at the bar until a table comes available. Might also be worth checking out toptable.co.uk as they have good offers for some of the pricier restaurants: Coq D'Argent at the top of 1 Poultry is a brilliant place for lunch cos it has such fantastic views.

gorionine Mon 19-Oct-09 12:19:02

DH used to work there Kensington Place (10 + years ago) was very good. Might still be?

bibbitybobbityCAT Mon 19-Oct-09 12:21:21

If you are looking for a really good vibrant atmosphere, that London lunchtime buzz, with arty/media/celeb fellow diners, then I have to say again The Ivy, Joe Allen or Orso. You can get tables at The Ivy, when is it for?

Earlybird Mon 19-Oct-09 12:24:56

Haven't been for several years, but what about Le Caprice?

Zefferano? Only been for supper, so not sure how it is for lunch - but the food is fab.

Joe Allen is buzzy and fun, but don't think it qualifies for a 'posh' lunch.....at least, not imo.

hanaflower Mon 19-Oct-09 12:26:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MummyDoIt Mon 19-Oct-09 12:28:26

Rules restaurant near Covent Garden is lovely. It's (I think) the oldest restaurant in London.

BlingLoving Mon 19-Oct-09 12:28:46

Arbutus

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Mon 19-Oct-09 12:30:30

Atmosphere at the Wolseley is supposedly very buzzy, but I haven't been myself as no one has offered to take me out to a posh lunch for ages. I've just stood outside with my nose pressed up against the glass like a Victorian orphan in a melodrama. Metaphorically, at least.

MrsJohnDeere Mon 19-Oct-09 12:33:02

Dh raves about Hix Oyster and Chophouse and the other Mark Hix place (Hix?) at the moment.

Not sure if that is formal enough for what you're after though.

stealthsquiggle Mon 19-Oct-09 12:47:53

Harvey Nichols 5th Floor is quite fun for people-spotting (and a spot of retail therapy on the way in/out grin)

stealthsquiggle Mon 19-Oct-09 12:48:38

(That's another fixed price lunch menu, BTW - most top restaurants are doing them ATM and they are really good deals, on the whole)

NorksDrift Mon 19-Oct-09 12:49:32

Murano

preggersplayspop Mon 19-Oct-09 12:50:26

Boxwood Cafe?

LyraSilvertongue Mon 19-Oct-09 12:50:29

Great suggestion, thanks.
I'll try The Ivy first. Liking the look of the Hix place and the Wolseley.
Rule I've been to before and wasn't keen. Sheeky's I loved

bibbitybobbityCAT Mon 19-Oct-09 12:53:10

Do you know what? I am actually jealous and that's not a feeling I suffer very often. Its just I remember being taken out to posh lunches in London and feel like it will never happen again (now am penniless sahm stuck in suburbs of zone 2).

Hope you enjoy and come back and tell us where you went [hgreen].

LyraSilvertongue Mon 19-Oct-09 12:56:05

I means great suggestions.
Sorry bibbity. It's not something I do all that often any more either.

LyraSilvertongue Mon 19-Oct-09 12:56:35

Meant.
Gah!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now