Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a cake recipe that doesn't require using a weighing scale?!

(13 Posts)
WriggleJiggle Mon 19-Oct-09 10:11:16

dd is desperate to make cakes today. Everyday she asks, and I have already put it off for the past week.
Trouble is, the reason I have put it off is because my weighing scales have broken so I don't know how to measure out the ingredients.
I know, I know, the weighing scales have been broken for the past month, I should just go out and buy new ones.
But I haven't, and now I've got a whinging child, and it's all my fault ....
Help! (please)

Scootergrrrl Mon 19-Oct-09 10:20:22

Cream a cup of butter and a cup of sugar until fluffy, beat in four eggs then gently fold in two cups of self-raising flour for sponge cake. You can add vanilla and suchlike if you want to be fancy grin

WriggleJiggle Mon 19-Oct-09 10:21:14

You are an absolute star! Thankyou.

Scootergrrrl Mon 19-Oct-09 10:22:21

No problem. Enjoy your cake - and the lack of whinging!

MrsBadger Mon 19-Oct-09 10:22:30

will biscuits do?

Quick Emergency biscuits:
1oz (2 level tablespoons) sugar
2oz (4 level tablespoons) butter
3oz (9 level tablespoons) flour

cream marg & sugar, stir in flour, knead, roll out, cut out, 10min gas 4.

overmydeadbody Mon 19-Oct-09 12:09:54

Mot american recipes work in cups rather than weights, so it' always useful to know when searching for a recipe and you have no scales to use!

WriggleJiggle Mon 19-Oct-09 22:07:37

I can't believe I didn't ask about this months ago. Now the dc will be able to do baking and biscuits on their own (just about). They can do the rest of it, but just can't use weighing scales yet. Measuring with cups is the way to go.
smile

Bucharest Tue 20-Oct-09 10:36:12

Yoghurt Pot Cake (is the only cake which is foolproof in my house!)

1 pot of plain yoghurt- full fat
Tip this into a basin
Use pot to measure:
1 pot of veg oil (any bland tasteless oil)
1.5 pots of self raising flour
1 pot caster sugar
1 pot cocoa
2 eggs.

Wham it all together, mix till it looks cakeymixturey and bake. Lovely and bouncey. smile

Booooooooooyhoo Tue 20-Oct-09 17:03:53

scooter how long do you bake for and what temp?

mrsbadger what is gas 4 in degrees C?

bucharest what temp and how long ?

please and thank you all

Scootergrrrl Tue 20-Oct-09 17:13:02

Bake at about 180c until it's brown and springy and the edges are starting to come away from the tin - about 35 mins depending on your oven.

Booooooooooyhoo Tue 20-Oct-09 17:17:14

thank you smile

Bucharest Tue 20-Oct-09 17:47:59

Hmm, therein lies the rub- and which is why it's the only foolproof cake in my house....am in Italy and have scary weird cooker with no regulatory heat knob thing, it's either scorchingly blisteringly hot, or off. grin So, I lob it in for about 20 mins....

In a normal oven, I'd say try what Scootergirl says, should work about the same....It's the nicest cake, really moist because of the yoghurt....

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 20-Oct-09 18:03:13

Yum. That cake sounds lovely Bucharest.

American recipes tend to measure in cups.You can buy sets of different sizes, I got some really cheap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now