Talk

Advanced search

Veggie who doesn't eat veg

(15 Posts)
PixiNanny Mon 19-Oct-09 09:23:17

Okay, going to sound odd (it always does) but I'm a vegetarian but have a huge issue with eating vegetables. I've been one since I was 5 (am 20 now) and when I was younger my parents never bothered trying to get me to eat vegetables. If I said I didn't like it then then they gave up. Problem is, it's caused loads of problems for me now! I grew up on sweetcorn, took me until I was 15/16 to start eating peas and carrots and that's about it. I'm also bad with fruit too. It's not a matter of try it and get over it as I do try to try a bit more veg but I start gagging whenever I try to swallow it. I can't even put a tomato in my mouth before I start gagging. The textures and tastes of 'new' things just make me feel sick.

How on earth do I get over this?! In the past year I've managed to start eating bananas and other fruit in smoothies, lettuce (on occasion), parsnips and a small handful of other veg, but I know it's not enough I'm thinking of resorting to hypnotherapy or something as I'm that desperate to get over this stupid reaction I have every time I try to eat something new. It's really ingrained deep in me as I grew up thinking I hated everything and now I still have it at the back of my mind.

And no, before it's said, I am not a troll grin

scrappydappydoo Mon 19-Oct-09 09:30:51

Can't help I'm afraid - I'm sure someone with good advice will be along in a minute... just out of interest why are you veggie?

PixiNanny Mon 19-Oct-09 09:46:26

I'm veggie still because I hate the thought of eating animals, not because I actually care about animals but because I just don't like the idea of eating them! I also find it very hypocritical for people to eat one type of meat but to condemn another (such as dogs in the far east and whatnot). I have honestly thought about giving it all up and having a burger but the thought makes me shudder when I actually think about it properly! I'm a very strict veghead, more lax about it now that I used to be RE cheese in France and things, but still strict.

BlingLoving Mon 19-Oct-09 09:50:16

On the plus side, you at least see that you have a problem and that your reaction is inappropriate and needs to change, so you're making steps in the right direction.

First, I'd say how are you eating at the moment? Or rather, what? how do you get the nutrients you need? Are you taking vitamin pills? Because a vegetarian who doesn't eat vegetables can't be getting nearly enough to stay healthy. Also, depending on what you eat, you may find people can give you suggestions for how to a more varied diet into your routine in a way that doesn't freak you out.

However, overall, I'd say you clearly have serious food issues and that it might be worth seeing someone about this, or perhaps joining some kind of group therapy? This cannot be healthy and I would think that this is the first step towards a possible eating disorder so you might find your GP would be willing to refer you. I'm not sure.

PixiNanny Mon 19-Oct-09 10:08:35

Bling: Yeah I know it's a problem, but fixing it is an issue which definately needs help now. At my wits end! I've been trying really hard to eat more for the past 18 months which led to my diet being terrible whilst working for PGL. When I started nannying it improved a bit more (the small handful of veg I mentioned has been within the last year) but I'm back to PGL next year so I'm worried I'll go back to my old self I've seen a couple of doctors but one said to stop being silly and get over it and the other was clueless as to what he could do for me as he didn't think a nutritionalist would be able to help me much.

I don't think that it could be the start of a disorder as it's been going on for so long and I absolutely love eating the food that I do eat, but I know it is a big issue that needs fixing.

Erm... diet at the moment:
Breakfast: Oaty cereal/toast
Lunch: Sandwich with veggie ham or pate or a vegetable soup normally cheese too
Dinner: a carby item with some form of veggie food such as tofu, quorn and some veg on the side.

I try to snack on fruit through the day and will try to have fruit with lunch too but I certainly don't get enough variety so I get bored :/

I'll try listing what I can remember that I do eat lol

Veg: parsnips, carrots, peas, cauliflower, water chesnuts, bamboo shoots, lettuce & cabbage occasionally, spinach, sweetcorn, very finely chopped onion.
Fruit: apples, pears, banana, pomegranate.

I tend to do better with soups and smoothies as the texture is the same every time so doesn't phase me too much, especially ones I've made from scratch.
I'm particularly bad with things like peppers, tomatoes and onions because of their textures mainly, and fruit like oranges and pineapple have the same problem.

I think I'll try my GP bac home when I get back and see if he can help me, as the doctors where I am think I'm a nutter and are constantly sending me away without actually helping me with anything angry

PixiNanny Mon 19-Oct-09 10:10:15

Oh, I eat pulses and nuts a lot too

LaurieScaryCake Mon 19-Oct-09 10:15:07

Your list looks fine - you'll have to put up with the boredom and eat more of that lovely list.

As you eat veggie soup put stuff you're not keen on/want to try or get used to in that and liquidize it (and add cream). Roasted pepper soup is delicious and the 'texture' is gone when its in soup.

StealthPolarBear Mon 19-Oct-09 10:29:49

i think your diet's fine actually
stick some lettuce & sweetcorn in your sandwich
do you eat pulses?

StealthPolarBear Mon 19-Oct-09 10:30:23

do you eat tomatos as sauce, e.g for pasta?

BlingLoving Mon 19-Oct-09 10:33:40

Okay, for a start, I don't think this is the end of the world nutritionally. YOu will struggle with dinner parties though! grin.

I do think you should see a therapist who can discuss your food issues with you. However, in the meantime, work with what you've got and can do. The texture thing is a very common issue for a lot of people, although you seem to have it more strongly than most.

If you don't mind soup, then that's one easy way right up front to get around some of your issues. At its simplest, most vegetables cooked with stock and pureed will make a totally edible soup. Add a spoonful of plain greek yoghurt or creme fraiche to add some creaminess. If you search on here you'll find dozens of easy recipes but really, finely chop onions and fry in a little oil, then toss in whatever other vegetables you want and cover with stock for approximatel 20 minutes, before pureeing and adding a little milk/cream/yoghurt. I like to add a combination of spices so either cumin/coriander/cinnamon/tumeric with "heartier" soups like butternut or a bit of rosemary and chilli and garlic for lighter ones. I like to add chopped up peppers when I make soup as they add sweetness and they can be pureed at the end. It's also worth adding celery and/or leeks as they add flavour, extra variety etc.

You seem to have a particular texture issue with "squishy" vegetables, so I'd try eating more root vegetables which are less squishy. Butternut - roasting it in chunks is probably best, Potatoes - baking or boiling is easiest, turnips you have covered, any kind of squash - pumpkin, patty pans, courgettes etc cut into fat chunks and roasted will be nice. Remove the seeds on things like courgettes if you find them a bit squishy too. Also, try raw vegetables with things like houmous - eg chunks of carrots, broccoli, celery.

If you think you'd like to add tomatoes, start slow - add chopped tin tomatoes to mince, lamb/beef chunks and cook with herbs/spices for a long time to break down any solid bits of tomato.

Fruit juices are a good alternative to fruit, but be careful as they can be highly concentrated and one glass = a few pieces of fruit. Be careful of added sugar too. If possible, squeeze or liquidize your own or stick to small portions. Also, it's worth trying dried fruit - again, not too much of it but if you have one portion a day, you can get a good variety of flavours if you vary the fruit you eat. Mango, apple, apricot and prunes are all generally good and easy to buy.

TheFoosa Mon 19-Oct-09 10:47:16

you sound like my sister, she is a veggie although she only has beans on toast, potatoes and 20 B&H, so in comparison your diet is brilliant

slimeoncrazydemon Mon 19-Oct-09 11:00:10

Message withdrawn

somewhathorrified Mon 19-Oct-09 11:26:08

What is it that you think is wrong with that? It's always nice to say "I eat whatever" but in terms of nutrition the list is pretty good.

slimeoncrazydemon Mon 19-Oct-09 11:36:42

Message withdrawn

PixiNanny Mon 19-Oct-09 13:09:31

I'll have to try roasted pepper soup, I've heard it's good! I do normaly chuck in some veggies pureed into my soups as it's a good way for me to build up the veggie count of the day.

I do eat tomato in sauces but normaly use passata instead of tomatoes as I don't like chunks of it and haven't got time to blitz it in the liquidiser/clean the liquidiser in the evenings hmm

Oh Bling, I do struggle with parties grin I normally take veggie food like cheesey sausage rolls things with me and I must admit that my family is very good at making an array of veggie food!

Ooh, sorry, I eat butternut and potatoes too blush I love squash. I'm slowly coming to terms with raw carrots (I had trouble with that before I ended up with swine flu and didn't have the energy to cook! grin)

TheFoosa: wow, I feel a bit beter now grin

slimeoncrazydemon: shudder mushrooms! lol I think my problem for me is that I don't eat enough veg even out of the list I do have as I don't always have things in the house or can't think of enough recipes to cook them differently. I do experiment with cooking often but soups are what I do best.

My big big issue though is that my reaction to foods annoys the hell out of me (as I'm sure it would anyone else!) and I'm a terrible house guest, I want to get over it so that I have more freedom in my cooking and can add variety and so that I can go out and not stick to the simplest vegetarian option on the menu.

I'm glad it doesn't seem that bad to you all though, I'm never sure what to do with myself! I think I will press on seeing somebody who could help me get over it more as though I'm making progress, it's not very good progress imo. Maybe I do need to relax about it a bit more and just start throwing things in again. I'm home for four months before I go back to PGL again so I'll try to work on a few more vegetables in the mean time.

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now