Talk

Advanced search

What is your favourite recipe for left over roast chicken?

(20 Posts)
IlanaK Sun 18-Oct-09 20:01:51

We had roast chicken tonight. I want to use what's left for dinner tomorow. I usually make a chicken and leek pie, but want to do something different.

What is your favourite recipe to give me some ideas?

dyzzidi Sun 18-Oct-09 20:05:18

I shred it ass some jamaican jerk seasoning few onions, peppers and loads of cheese. Put it all on top on some tortilla chips whack in the oven for 10 minutes and serve with sour cream. It works with white and brown meat.

cookielove Sun 18-Oct-09 20:07:58

my mum does a lovely chicken stew with dumplings, mmmmmmm

Ivykaty44 Sun 18-Oct-09 20:10:30

cold meat and bubble and squeak, or pickles and jkt pot with cold chicken.

IlanaK Sun 18-Oct-09 20:10:31

dyzzidi - that sounds so nice, but none of us can each cheese

meltedmarsbars Sun 18-Oct-09 21:32:54

Day 2: Risotto made by removing the meat then making stock out of the carcass, and using the stock and the meat to make the risotto,

Day 3: soup with alphabet spagetti from the remainder if the stock, plus some veg.

Lilyloooohhhh Sun 18-Oct-09 21:38:34

Have got my left overs in the fridge waiting to be made into something tom so will check back here for inspiration

Trebuchet Sun 18-Oct-09 21:51:59

Dip bits in egg and breadcrumbs and fry. Have in crusty rolls with soft lettuce and lemony mayo.

MarsLady Sun 18-Oct-09 21:56:08

dyzzdi...like your thinking. Will give that a go. grin

preggersplayspop Sun 18-Oct-09 21:58:31

Chop it up and mix with mayo, black pepper and lemon juice and eat with a baked potato done in the oven (coated in olive oil and salt so its lovely and crispy).

Heated Sun 18-Oct-09 22:05:17

I'm going to try out american hot chicken salad and the page links to other leftover chicken recipes.

CornishKK Sun 18-Oct-09 22:13:26

Curry paste, onions, tomatoes, cooked rice - stir fry. Chuck in shredded cold chicken, garnish with fresh coriander.

Make a cucumer raita with yoghurt, grated cucumber and cumin.

And a naan bread of you are a carb freak like me.

SlartyBartFast Sun 18-Oct-09 22:20:30

cornish that sounds nice, i sometimes add a jar of pataks tikka masala to left over chicken, that is a favourite,
otherwise risotto, not so popular,
or mixed with pasta and a white sauce and other odd ingrediants

BertieBotts Sun 18-Oct-09 22:21:37

Have you got a slow-cooker? This is my favourite chicken leftovers recipe. (apart from chicken sandwiches, yum!) I don't know if it would work without a slow cooker, I don't know how to adapt it. It's sort of a risotto thing, I think. I've never had risotto - but it's a rice dish and the rice goes all sort of mushy and it's a really nice texture.

For 4 people, you need 2 onions, 900ml/1 & a half pints of chicken stock, 1 red pepper, 1 yellow pepper, handful of mushrooms, 175g/6oz long grain rice (not risotto rice)

1. Finely chop the onions, slice the peppers, and quarter the mushrooms (if using button mushrooms leave whole)

2. Gently fry the onions just to soften them.

3. (Optional step) Add everything else into the pan, bring to the boil. (Can be easier to stir everything in together this way depending on your slow-cooker.)

4. Chuck everything into the slow cooker. (It needs to all be mixed together in no particular order so stir now if you haven't already mixed it via step 3)

Cook for 3-4 hours on Low. Serve in bowls and with spoons!

jemart Sun 18-Oct-09 22:23:26

Spicy chicken pasta. Use whatever pasta you have in the cupboard, penne or fusilli are good but anything will do. fry spices of choice with some onions and peppers until soft and mix in a saucepan with one tin chopped tomatoes (two tins if cooking for more than 4 people). Add some tomato puree if you have some, relish or tomato chutney also work well. Add your chicken to the sauce and bring to the boil.Take off heat and put lid on saucepan to keep warm. Cook and drain pasta and stir into chicken and sauce. Serve with cheesy garlic bread. yum.

jemart Sun 18-Oct-09 22:25:09

ah....you don't like cheese....normal garlic bread would be okay smile

bruffin Sun 18-Oct-09 22:30:53

greek rice and lemon soup which is basically rice, stock, bits of chicken thickened with egg and lemon juice to taste.

notnowbernard Sun 18-Oct-09 22:31:24

Risotto

tethersend Sun 18-Oct-09 22:36:13

Chicken croquettes

Yum smile

CoteDAzur Sun 18-Oct-09 22:39:17

Pour bechamel sauce over chicken pieces & stick in the oven preheated to 180 C. Take out & serve when top starts to change color (about 20 mins).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now