Talk

Advanced search

How do I roast butternut squash?

(15 Posts)
strawberrycornetto Sun 18-Oct-09 10:22:30

My mum has left me with peeled and halved butternut squash to roast for lunch. Can I roast them when they have already been peeled? How long and is there anything I can put on them to add flavour??

Thanks! smile

whomovedmychocolate Sun 18-Oct-09 10:23:19

45 minutes, pop a bit of oil on top. I tend to add garlic or sprinkle a bit of veggie stock cube on top. 180 for 45 minutes.

luckyblackcat Sun 18-Oct-09 10:32:35

I leave the skin on, but hey ho!

Flat side up, slash into the deepest part of the flesh. a few cubes of butter on the top, some salt and pepper, perhaps a sprig or two of rosemary and some halved cloves of garlic pushed into the slashes. 45 mins and yum.

strawberrycornetto Sun 18-Oct-09 10:34:22

Brilliant. Thank you both.

ShinyAndNew Sun 18-Oct-09 10:36:21

I just roast it with the other veg I roast <carrots, parsnips and tatty>. I don't time things but I put the veg in when it is time to start preparing the yorkshire puddings if thats any help? grin

I'm guessing they are probably in for about half an hour on 220 C

I always peel butternut squash. I like it mashed too.

luckyblackcat Sun 18-Oct-09 10:38:26

I sometimes roast it in with my spuds etc as S&N does (delish with roast beetroot)but I'm a veggi and use it as my 'meat' so often leave it whole.

strawberrycornetto Sun 18-Oct-09 14:17:14

I roasted it with butter and garlic and it was yummy! Thanks very much.

dandycandyjellybean Mon 19-Oct-09 14:55:00

For those who leave the skin on, do you eat the skin? What is it like, kind of imagine it to be leathery?

VictoriousSponge Mon 19-Oct-09 14:55:25

no you put the flesh in the bin and eat the skin

dandycandyjellybean Mon 19-Oct-09 14:57:20

Seriously? They are one of the supersix at Aldi so will be buying loads but normally peel and add to casserole, curry, soups etc, and make really nice muffins too, but would love to try it sliced and roasted was just curious about the 'skin' thing, it's so very tough when raw.

Countingthegreyghouls Mon 19-Oct-09 15:09:41

Yep you can either peel and chop in to cubes and roast like other root veg or if you are short of time, chop in half or quarters with skin on, brush with oil and season and roast for half an hour/45 mins in hot-ish oven, (maybe with a little thyme). You know it's done when a sharp knife goes in without resistance. Peel when cooked(comes off like a dream) and eat.

The roasting in oven method is an excellent way of making squash or pumpkin soup because it intensifies the flavour. Also, much less time-consuming than all that peeling and chopping.

Bubbaluv Mon 19-Oct-09 15:16:29

Drizzle with olive oil, honey and cumin mmmmmm.

Bubbaluv Mon 19-Oct-09 15:16:32

Drizzle with olive oil, honey and cumin mmmmmm.

VictoriousSponge Mon 19-Oct-09 16:45:25

no you eat the flesh
was kidding

treaclespongeofdeath Mon 19-Oct-09 16:47:33

You can eat the skin - it softens up loads once it's been cooked. I sometimes peel it if I'm roasting chunks of it but always leave it on for soup - waste not want not grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now