Talk

Advanced search

Cake novice here! Any tips for a 16th bday cake?

(8 Posts)
Haylstones Sun 18-Oct-09 10:03:14

I'm a bit of a cake novice, have made a few over the years but am still learning. I've promised to make my sister a 'special' cake for her 16th but am stuck for motivation...

She's a typical 16 year old, into clothes, make up and her laptop. I had thought of trying to make a laptop cake but no idea where to start- how would I make the keys and make the back stick up?!

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated smile

luciemule Sun 18-Oct-09 18:32:43

My 16th cake was very special and I really wanted a 'grown up' cake so that's what I got. A shop in a nearby town bought in Raymond Blanc cakes and so we ordered a fresh strawberries and cream one. It looked amazing; really pretty and very sophisticated for a 16 yr old girl.

Going with the laptop idea, kids cakes based on the DS, have a cake base and keyboard with a cardboard back piece, made to blend with the keyboard. Sounds tricky to make though. If she doesn't mind you not making it, you could buy her a really pretty special occasion cake.

janeite Sun 18-Oct-09 18:44:55

I think a laptop may be a bit tricky, if you're a bit of a novice (as am I!). How about making a big square cake covered in fondant icing then wrapped with a huge bow to look like a parcel? White icing and a huge black bow could look quite stylish and fashiony in a Coco Chanel or Mary Quant kind of way maybe?!

Hmm, thinking about my 16 yr old niece I don't think she'd really like a novelty cake as it's not "cool" (at that precise age, I mean, when they're trying to feel grown up. I think they become cool again when they get to university!) obviously you know your sister best, though.

Personally I'd go with what other posters said, just a beautiful special cake. Wow look at this one! Fiddly though

overmydeadbody Mon 19-Oct-09 12:17:26

I recommend you concentrate on making the actual cake really special and nice, rather than focussing on novelty icing to make it look like a laptop or anything.

Somethgin like a gateaux made of ix layers sandwitched between chocolate ganache, with three layers made of sponge and three layers made of meringue.

overmydeadbody Mon 19-Oct-09 12:18:13

If you are going to invest time in making a cake, make it taste nice, rather than focussing on making it look nice! That's my advice.

overmydeadbody Mon 19-Oct-09 12:29:20

something like this?

Haylstones Mon 19-Oct-09 13:39:24

Thanks for the tips. I do make a nice sponge actually, even if I do say so myself grin so it'll def tasste nice!

I;m thinking maybe it would be better to make something really pretty, kind of a mini wedding cake- she loves eveything pink, flowers, butterflies etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now