Talk

Advanced search

Anyone use a breadmaker?

(15 Posts)
Ellbell Sun 12-Jun-05 19:52:09

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone out there was a dab hand with a breadmaker. Someone gave us one as a belated wedding present about 2 years ago, and I have finally got around to taking it out of its box. I made my first loaf last night, and it was pretty good for a first attempt, but not as light as it might have been if I'd kneaded it myself (mind you, I'd NEVER have time to make my own bread by hand, so beggars can't be choosers over this) and it tasted a bit sweet. So just wondered if anyone had any advice, cos I do love the idea of having fresh bread on a regular basis. How much can you mess with the recipes in the 'manual'? Is the sugar content strictly necessary (have a feeling it might be necessary to react with the yeast)? Any really good, fool-proof recipes?

TIA

Ellbell

charleepeters Sun 12-Jun-05 19:55:59

i used a bread maker for a while and i liked it, i had one where you basicly bung everything in turn it on and it kneeds and bakes it for you, i would recomend sticking to manule though otherwise it can go a bit iffy, but you ccan experiment with adding dry ingredients like sundried tomates, garlic, cheese ect.

helsi Sun 12-Jun-05 20:15:27

yes - I love mine. do alsorts in it. have even made jam!!

KatyMac Sun 12-Jun-05 21:55:44

I mess around with mine
I put less sugar or honey and less salt
I use veg suet - much easier
I use milk not milk powder - much lighter

charleepeters Sun 12-Jun-05 21:56:09

ive made cake in mine!

pixiefish Sun 12-Jun-05 21:58:17

Me too- I love mine, I set it so that the bread is baked overnight and ready in the morning. Make bread, cakes, dough for pitta bread etc etc

singersgirl Sun 12-Jun-05 22:43:44

Yes, I use mine almost daily. Have a standard recipe that is successful so I use almost all the time, but vary things like the percentage of wholemeal/oatmeal. It's so easy and even in a breadmaker home-made bread is so good you can't face sliced again. Have promised the DSs I will make doughnuts soon, but of course I can only use the machine for the kneading/proving bit.

bron42 Sun 12-Jun-05 22:45:01

Great for pizza dough base. 1 and a half hours in maker so you can chill out and then use it as you want.
I get the kids to cover with tomato puree and use cooked vegetables to make a face each (one of my more successful ways of introducing veg into their diets!)add grated cheese, herbs.
8-10 minutes in oven.
No need to prove it a second time.

Gwenick Sun 12-Jun-05 22:47:27

LOVE mine - (Panasonic - WELL worth the money). Used it for pizza dough (mine only takes 45 minutes), lots of lovely breads (all VERY soft and very popular with the boys), and even to make dough for buns.

MarsLady Sun 12-Jun-05 23:41:07

love my breadmaker. Use it often. Also make my own jam, cos I be an earth mother lol

giraffeski Sun 12-Jun-05 23:50:25

Message withdrawn

giraffeski Sun 12-Jun-05 23:50:56

Message withdrawn

Ellbell Mon 13-Jun-05 14:46:37

Thanks everyone. Marslady - Would love to be an Earth Mother but just don't have the time (full-time job, 2 kids, etc.) which is why the breadmaker seems like a good idea!

My next question is about organic vegetable bags. Am thinking of ordering one!

Anyway, dd has taken homemade bread sarnies to school today, so I am feeling proud of myself. I will be making loaf #2 tonight! On the basis of giraffeski's post I'll reduce the sugar content and see what happens. If it comes out flat, I'll pretend it's a pizza!

What flour do you wise MN-ers use for pizza bases? Does it need to be the Italian 00 type?

giraffeski Mon 13-Jun-05 22:26:33

Message withdrawn

giraffeski Mon 13-Jun-05 22:30:19

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now