Talk

Advanced search

Corn on the Cob skulking in fridge. What do YOU serve with them?

(12 Posts)
RubiMama Thu 15-Oct-09 13:45:20

I rarely buy it even though I like it because I never know what to cook with it. But it's there and there's not alot else to go with, so what do you usually serve with it?

MrsBadger Thu 15-Oct-09 13:48:45

either as a starter on its own, or as a veg with other finger-type food (ribs, chicekn drumsticks) where we'll all be getting sticky anyway.

ChopsTheDuck Thu 15-Oct-09 13:50:17

or you cna make curry out of it. Cut it inot thick slices and make a rich tomato gravy.

Carrotfly Thu 15-Oct-09 13:51:28

Just steam them and then pull off all the kernels with a knife.

Serve with whatever you would usually serve veg with then.

Easy peasy and no mess.

BlingLoving Thu 15-Oct-09 16:33:28

Yup - as a side dish for any basic meal. I particularly like corn with lamb chops etc. (at a bbq in SA, corn on the cob is standard). Also, it's great as a snack on its own - we would have corn on the cob with butter and salt when we got home from school and before supper. Delicious.

Also, a quick, tasty and cheat way to cook corn on the cob is to wrap it in cling wrap and slap it in the microwave for about 3 minutes, leave to stand for a minute then remove the cling wrap (while protecting your fingers), add lots of butter and salt and eat. We were doing this for ourselves from a very young age.

TheFoosa Thu 15-Oct-09 16:42:13

potato wedges and southern style fried chicken

RubiMama Fri 16-Oct-09 12:01:33

Thanks for your replies, we're all veggie in this house, sorry I should have mentioned that, so we don't tend too do the veg on the side with a main thing, but I like the curry idea. DS (20 mo)was happy chomping on it, and it seemed to fill him up wih a pud aswell! Like the Microwave cheat tip too, thanks Bling. Might try making a quiche with it next time.

BlingLoving Fri 16-Oct-09 14:23:44

What about corn fritters? I have never made them but used to love them.

<off to google recipes>

BlingLoving Fri 16-Oct-09 14:24:48

here

tassisssss Fri 16-Oct-09 14:25:20

my kids (including 16 month old) love em.

serve with anything that needs a side veg. lovely.

ShinyAndNew Fri 16-Oct-09 14:28:23

Home made veggie or beef burgers in buns. We microwave the corn and have a dot of butter on it.

Dd1 loves it.

mumof2222222222222222boys Fri 16-Oct-09 14:38:25

Boil for about 4 mins and put a bit of butter on top. I like freshly ground pepper and a bit of Maldon salt too!

DSs have alwasy loved swetcorn - now getting into corn on the cob after a couple of protests about how it is better out of the can blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now