Talk

Advanced search

How do you make your chilli extra nice?

(41 Posts)
TrillianSlasher Thu 15-Oct-09 10:19:27

Basic recipe is onion, garlic, mince, tomatoes, kidney beans, chilli flakes.

What extras do you add?

HappyBump Thu 15-Oct-09 10:29:07

I use celery, carrot, garlic and onion as a base.

Then brown the mince and pancetta/streaky bacon.

Some Optional extras:
Sun-dried tomatoes
Black beans instead of kidney beans
Mushrooms
Red/Green Peppers
Wocestershire Sauce
Fresh celery leaves
Fresh coriander

Sometimes I slow-cook in the oven (Delia and Jamie Oliver recipes both do that I think)

mmm ... now I want chilli grin

TrillianSlasher Thu 15-Oct-09 10:31:43

Anyone?

I have friends coming round this evening and I want it to be extra tasty.

TrillianSlasher Thu 15-Oct-09 10:32:48

Mmm, worcester sauce is like a magic ingredient isn't it?

What are black beans like?

YouKnowHumanBonesCrunch Thu 15-Oct-09 10:33:04

Grate some 70%+ cocoa dark chocolate into it. It really adds something.

MyCatsAScarierBastardThanYours Thu 15-Oct-09 10:34:00

My DH always adds a bit of honey (just a spoonfull). It does add a little something. My basic rcipe is not disimilar to Happybumps.

NancyBotwin Thu 15-Oct-09 10:35:16

I add roasted peppers - had it with some in at a cafe once and loved it so do it at home now. I use frozen sliced roasted peppers from waitrose but if you want to be all domestic goddesy about it you could do them from scratch...

overmydeadbody Thu 15-Oct-09 10:35:26

Trillian your basic recipe is seriously lacking!grin

For a start, chilli has to contain a good teaspoon of cumin, as well as chillie flakes or fresh chillie.

Then you also need tomato puree to make the sauce tasties.

And, the vital ingreidnet: two squares of proper dark chocolate or a teaspoon of coco powder.

A sprinkle of sugar will also enhance the flavour, as would salt and pepper.

NancyBotwin Thu 15-Oct-09 10:37:03

Oh yes didn't spot the lack of tomato puree in your recipe - you need to add a good lot to get that lovely thick consistency - I use a jar rather than a tube as it's easier to get good dollops out.

TrillianSlasher Thu 15-Oct-09 10:37:44

I would't make it with just that basic recipe OMDB - that was just my estimate of the things that everyone would have in their chilli, and I wanted to know what different extras each person used.

I have some fresh chillis (from my plant! grin) but my friends are not as chilli-keen as I am and it's much easier to control the heat when using flakes.

TrillianSlasher Thu 15-Oct-09 10:38:32

I've done it with cubes of casserole beef before too, but I won't get home from work til at least 6.30 so don't have time for that today.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 15-Oct-09 10:38:40

Usually I don't like cumin but chilli needs it. Also some coriander (seed) - fresh coriander to serve is good with most mexican food - I suppose in this context call it cilantro grin

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 15-Oct-09 10:39:22

I use a little bit of sugar to bring out the tomato flavour.

overmydeadbody Thu 15-Oct-09 10:39:42

Glad to hear itgrin

Cumin is even more important if you are not going to be making it too fiery. It gives it the whole mexican taste instead of jut being hot bolognese with kidney beans in it.

Fresh coriander is also nice sprinkled on the top before serving.

And nice to serve it with sour cream on the side <<drool>>

SqueezyCheesyPumpkin Thu 15-Oct-09 10:39:58

Green peppers and not just garlic.......LOTS of garlic smile I always add a veggie stock cube as it seems to add richness.

StillSquiffy Thu 15-Oct-09 10:40:30

Worcester sauce and cocoa powder (desertspoon size) are indeed the magic ingredients

itsmeolord Thu 15-Oct-09 10:41:02

I use two tblspns of strong coffee and 2 teaspoons of chinese 5 spice in mine as well as dried chillies and a tomato based sauce.

I do it in the slow cooker quite often with chunks of meat rather than mince.

shinybaubles Thu 15-Oct-09 10:43:59

cumin and whole cinammon stick while it cooks such a lovley warm smell/taste

UnrequitedSkink Thu 15-Oct-09 10:44:23

I second the cumin - chilli is just NOT chilli without it. I also add half a cinnamon stick to mine and let it sit and simmer on the stove for an hour. It adds just a hint of cinnamon and it's lovely. Sugar and salt bring out the flavour of the toms, and I prefer a dash of balsamic to a dash of worcester sauce.

Also, a dollop of sour cream to serve is lovely.

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 15-Oct-09 10:46:02

for 500g beef mince I do the following:

2 large onions, chopped
4-6 cloves of garlic
1 large green chilli (the mild ones)
1 tin kidney beans
1 tin tomatoes
small box of mushrooms, chopped
large glug of red wine
1 oxo cube
chilli powder
salt and black pepper, dried oregano

Soften the onion, chilli and garlic in olive oil, season with salt, pepper and oregano, then turn the heat up and add the mince, breaking it up as it cooks/browns

Crumble in the oxo cube and add the chilli powder (as much or as little as you like - it has a different flavour from fresh chilli)

Stir in the kidney beans and cook for a couple of minutes, then add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes or so, then add the tomatoes and red wine.

Bring to the boil, then cover the pan, turn down the heat, and let it simmer for at least half an hour. An hour is better if you have the time.

Before you serve it, take the lid off and make sure it's not too liquid - if it is, boil till it's the right consistency. Check for seasoning. I sometimes add a little sugar at this point.

I serve it with rice, as well as wraps, grated cheese and sour cream or yoghurt.

Sourdough Thu 15-Oct-09 10:46:49

I cheat a bit and add half a sachet of Fajita seasonings. It gives it a nice, smoky flavour. And cook it s..l...o...w...l..y. Oh, and I always, ALWAYS put a good dollop of sour cream on top when served.

whoisasking Thu 15-Oct-09 10:52:08

My ma sticks a tin of Campbells condesed tomato soup in her chilli.

<nom nom nom>

bumpyandfrumpy Thu 15-Oct-09 10:52:18

Besides all the rest, adding lime juice when it is cooked is yummy.

heartofgold Thu 15-Oct-09 10:55:44

coffee and 5 spice? really? shock

cumin, paprika, cocoa powder. i like it best made with cubes of stewing steak rather than mince and i stick a load of peppers in too.

minnietheminx007 Thu 15-Oct-09 10:56:22

i add a good 2 tablespoons of branston pickle and everyone who has tried my chilli always asks for the recipe grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now