Talk

Advanced search

is roasting vegetables healthy?

(10 Posts)
sarah293 Wed 14-Oct-09 19:16:10

Message withdrawn

Bicnod Wed 14-Oct-09 19:17:13

Yes! It must be... olive oil - good. Vegetables - good.

Yum - you've made me hungry.

HuwEdwards Wed 14-Oct-09 19:18:18

bugger healthy.

Really really tasty - they're sweeter roasted!.

sarah293 Wed 14-Oct-09 19:18:56

Message withdrawn

ellipsis Wed 14-Oct-09 19:19:09

Depends what you mean by healthy. Roasting them will have more calories than boiling/grilling or whatever, but that doesn't make it automatically unhealthy.

wonderingwondering Wed 14-Oct-09 19:19:14

I'd have thought so as you usually get a mix of colours, more veg, and less oil than when roasting potatoes. Put some tomatoes in too, they're good for you when cooked. I too am hungry... smile

sarah293 Wed 14-Oct-09 19:23:44

Message withdrawn

ellipsis Wed 14-Oct-09 19:29:28

Roasted veg definitely healthier than no veg.

overmydeadbody Thu 15-Oct-09 10:21:58

Define 'healthy' riven.

If you're someone trying to cut calories in order to loose weight, then anything drizzled in olive oil is going to be a silly choice, but as part of a well balanced diet, roasted vegetables drizzled in olive oil are perfectly healthy. Vegetables are healthy obvioulsy and so is a little oil, our bodies need some oil in our diets.

Compared to a takeaway kebab or a blate of chips, roasted veg is healthier grin

overmydeadbody Thu 15-Oct-09 10:23:24

covering veg in oil doesn't take away their healthy nutritious benifits to us, so compared to steamed veg you are getting more calories and a large portion of fat, but still getting the good veg as well.

Just like covering broccoli in melted chocolate wouldn't stop the broccoli from being healthy, it would just add chocolate into the mixgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now