overmydeadbody Wed 14-Oct-09 12:59:17

try this

overmydeadbody Wed 14-Oct-09 12:59:41

I wish people would give me meat as a gift <sulk>

RubyrubyrubysAScaryOldBint Wed 14-Oct-09 13:00:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OrmIrian Wed 14-Oct-09 13:03:48

Do you have a slow cooker?

If so seal the joint in a frying pan with some onions. Then put it in the slow cooker, pour some stock into the frying pan with a big glass of red wine and stir. When the stock is hot pour it into the slow cooker. Add bay leaves and a bit of black pepper. Leave it on high until it is simmering slightly round the edges and then turn to low. Keep cooking it for a good 6hrs or so.

Bloody lovely!

megcleary Wed 14-Oct-09 13:22:48

hmm no slow cooker i thought in my stupidity i could just roast it and i have to casarole dishes big enough

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 14-Oct-09 13:23:30

I'd do like OrmIrian and slow cook it. I'd do it with all wine thoughgrin You could do it with your oven on low aswell.

Beef brisket is lovely.

If you wanted to you could also chop it into chunks and use it for any recipe that uses stewing/braising steak.

DaisymooSteiner Wed 14-Oct-09 13:27:14

DH rolls brisket in a mixture of dark brown sugar and chilli then roasts with onions on a low heat for 3-4 hours. Tastes amazing.

PrettyCandles Wed 14-Oct-09 13:27:15

OrmIrian's recipe is good. You can also do it in the oven if you don't have a slow cooker. Do just as she says, but put it all in a casserole. Cover with tinfoil, then put the lid on the casserole. Cook at mediumish heat until liquid is bubbling, then turn down to very low and cook for about 3h.

I then take the meat out, pour everything else into a saucepan, and put the meat back in the casserole. Cover the casserole and put a newspaper and a towel over to keep it warm while making the gravy. Fish out the bayleaf, liquidise the stock and onions, add a tablespoonful of flour and simmer, stirring well, until thickened.

Serve with roast potatoes, carrots, and greens.

DaisymooSteiner Wed 14-Oct-09 13:28:06

We've stopped buying expensive joints of beef as this recipe is just so good and has so much more flavour.

megcleary Wed 14-Oct-09 13:28:13

how bad would it be to just roast it

PrettyCandles Wed 14-Oct-09 13:28:36

Your casserole dish may be big enough. The meat will shrink a bit as it cooks, and you can always top it up with a bit of boiling hot stock if you think it needs (tho it rarely does).

notamumyetbutoneday Wed 14-Oct-09 13:31:51

OMDB that link is brilliant!!! Er, sorry OP, never cooked brisket before.

OrmIrian Wed 14-Oct-09 13:32:24

meg - brisket can be quite tough and it isn't usually recommended for roasting. That is why it's a cheaper cut. You can braise in the oven but you need liquid with it so you need a dish with some sort of sides rather than a flatter roasting tin. Ideally cover it too.

Could you cut it in half and use on of your smaller casserole dishes.

It makes a lovely gravy!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 14-Oct-09 13:33:45

You do need to cook it slowly and with some liquid.

overmydeadbody Wed 14-Oct-09 14:18:07

megclearly roast beef brisket recipe here

Sourdough Wed 14-Oct-09 14:55:44

Delia does a great pot roast, nice 'n easy.

This is not the one I usually make (I do the one from Complete Cookery Course) but it looks pretty good. I'd throw in a few veggies with the meat - shallots, 1/2 celery stalks, baby carrots and let them braise at the same time. The red onion marmalade would be optional, but nice, I think.

megcleary Wed 14-Oct-09 19:48:08

well thought i would report back, I ha dto cut the brisket in half to fit it into my tiny dish.

I sealed it like one recipe here suggested had never done that before felt very cheflikewink

Then had a veg stock cube, no beef one, chopped up an onion and flung the lot in a pot in the oven and left it for two and a half hours.

Rang DH and said don't rush home (had promised roast beef dinner) and every time I checked it over the afternoon it was like leather cooking.

Lifted it out let it settle and it was fab. I nearly fainted.

I just wanted to say thanks for the advice I really didn't want to waste it.

sprogger Wed 14-Oct-09 19:59:25

Of course, the other way to cook a really huge chuck of brisket is Texas-style.

Possibly not the best method in October, though. grin

OrmIrian Wed 14-Oct-09 22:52:29

Yay! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now