Talk

Advanced search

Egyptian meal

(12 Posts)
SomeGuy Tue 13-Oct-09 14:58:18

Any suggestions? I was thinking of bbqing aubergines and making babaganoush, perhaps with some byesar, but not sure what else.

Shish kebabs? Any other suggestions?

saadia Tue 13-Oct-09 15:00:33

vine leaves stuffed with rice

ChopsTheDuck Tue 13-Oct-09 15:01:55

I had some gorgeos lebanese food recently, that would be similar wouldn't it?

I made baba ghanoush, spicy houmous, pittas, and chicken kebabs and a peasant salad called fattoush.

I'm hungry now!

SomeGuy Tue 13-Oct-09 15:03:21

where do you get vine leaves from?

Is it easy to make pitta bread, or is it just as good to buy the shop bought ones?

foodfairy Tue 13-Oct-09 15:03:47

Why not try dukka - a mix of spices and nuts to start off. You dip bread in oil and then in the spice mix.

Also look up fuul a kind of bean dish a bit like dahl and kusheri a pasta and rice dish with spicey tomato topping. Kebabs pretty popular in Egypt and finish off with some baklava

ChopsTheDuck Tue 13-Oct-09 15:06:19

we get tinned vine leaves from asian grocers. Not sure if can get them in the supermarket?

I buy pittas, life is too short.

Another tip though, when you put the ghanous and hoummous on the plate, flatten it down on top, then drizzle chilli oil over it.

SomeGuy Tue 13-Oct-09 15:25:11

I had fuul in Egypt for breakfast, it was ok when someone had laid it all out to try a couple of times on holiday but I don't think it's worth the effort to make it yourself.

We're rather spoiled for baklava - we had delicious melt-in-the-mouth baklava, little explosions of honey and nuts in Turkey, and the slightly stale ones you get in England aren't worth the calories IYSWIM.

The menu for Abou El Sid has some inspiration www.al-nakhil.com/abuelsid/2.htm

I don't much fancy Molkheya (spinach soup)

I think I will have to go for something grillable alongside the aubergins: kebabs and perhaps some chicken.

TheDevilEatsBabies Tue 13-Oct-09 15:33:11

Koshari: it's the ideal fast food in egypt.

you make it with rice (you can't get egyptian rice here, but the closest would be risotto rice), macaroni....
there's a recipe here .

it looks pretty much accurate.

TheInvisibleManDidIt Tue 13-Oct-09 15:35:11

No recipe ideas but can I please come to yours for dinner- it all sounds lovely! grin

SomeGuy Tue 13-Oct-09 15:36:34

The butchers have got some pigeons, but I
wonder if they are too tough to bbq.

It says at www.independent.co.uk/life-style/ful-madame-1258477.html

that

"Our tough, gamy English pigeons are a different bird to the Egyptian breed, but a few butchers here sell the French pigeonneaux, which are the same. Otherwise, use squab or small poussin. In Egypt, stuffed pigeons are more often first cooked in broth, then fried, but I prefer roasting them.The amount of stuffing given here is enough for a side dish, too."

The ones in the butcher are the common wood pigeon.

Perhaps I should stick with chicken. hmm

SomeGuy Tue 13-Oct-09 20:31:37

in the end got a boneless shoulder of lamb. Marinaded the leaner half in lemon juice, olive oil, coriander and onion for shish kebabs, and minced the other half with onion, mint, coriander, parsley, cumin, paprika to make kofta.

I was worried the kofta would be too fatty but they were nicer than the shish, which took forever to cook.

Did hummous, babaghanoush, pitta breads and yogurt+mint on the side.

overmydeadbody Tue 13-Oct-09 20:45:57

sounds lush SomeGuy.

I love Zaatar Manaeesh, we used to have it at lunchtime in school <wistful> and it is really hard to find outside of London in this country.

here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now