Talk

Advanced search

Roasted vegetables - what else can I throw in?

(13 Posts)
tallyhopinkerton Mon 12-Oct-09 16:36:11

At the moment I'm using red onions, peppers (red and yellow), tomatoes and courgettes and roasting in olive oil and balsamic vinegar until nice and burned caramelised.

What else can I add to it? Would aubergine work or is there too much water in it?

Thanks.

TsarChasm Mon 12-Oct-09 16:40:21

I quite like a bit of sweet potato, whole unpeeled garlic, carrots....whatever you have really smile

PoisonToadstool Mon 12-Oct-09 16:41:53

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Squash? Aubergine yummy. Yes to unpeeled garlic.

Can I come for dinner?

bibbitybobbityCAT Mon 12-Oct-09 16:41:53

I was also going to say unpeeled cloves of garlic. Squish the garlic out after they're done.

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Mon 12-Oct-09 16:42:25

Carrots work. I sometimes throw in mushrooms towards the end too.

janeite Mon 12-Oct-09 20:01:09

My favourite is sweet potato, carrots, new potatoes, whole garlic cloves, chunks of red onion and parsnips, with some chilli and cumin flakes and loads of black pepper. Mushrooms would be lovely in there but the dds don't like them.

tallyhopinkerton Mon 12-Oct-09 20:52:36

Ooh, I like the garlic idea! And I love the sound of carrots, squash, sweet potato, parsnips, mushrooms and onions too. In my head though, they seem to divide naturally into two dishes - one which is a bit Mediterranean and one which is more of a "winter warmer".

If I just threw all of the above into one big roasting pan, do you reckon it would all come together okay? And what herbs would you recommend using?

Thanks for your help!

(Of course you can come for dinner. Bring pudding!)

TwoManyFallsAndYouGetABadScore Mon 12-Oct-09 20:56:48

I do a roasted veg ratatouille (sp?). After they are nearly roasted, I turn down the oven, chuck in some red wine, a tin of tomatos, bit of balsamic and a tiny bit of chilli and cook on a low heat for another hour.

I know it isn't roasted veg as such but it is gorgeous and a realy autumn warmer.

If you just fancy the roasted veg, you could chuck in a bit of feta near the end.

janeite Mon 12-Oct-09 21:21:23

Yes - the one I described is a winter warmer one. It's actually really nice with a minty, garlicky, lemony, yoghurty dip thing too.

I find a Mediteranean one harder because I'm not fond of aubergines or courgettes.

DD1 loves cherry tomatoes on the vine, roasted with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

I love roasted asparagus - bit of olive oil, bit of balsamic, then served with shaved parmesan - scrummy.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Mon 12-Oct-09 21:24:04

yum to all of the above the only thing I would suggest is some halloumi cheese if you want to add something Non veg.

JamInMyWellies Mon 12-Oct-09 21:35:11

celeriac, turnip, squash, parsnip, swede

Monsterspam Mon 12-Oct-09 21:43:44

I'm hungry now!

We add parsnips and beetroot too.

Littlefish Mon 12-Oct-09 21:48:52

Butternut squash is delicious in roasted veg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now